Q&A Portion 4

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Q&A Portion 4

1. Can you please tell me about good and reasonable parlors in Riyadh?
Prices of salon/parlor services here are waaay overpriced when you compare it with the ones available in the Philippines. Take for instance a haircut which will take you aback for SR50. That's almost PHP600 already... and that's only the most basic cut! Hair coloring can go for SR500 up and rebonding for SR1,000! But of course, we have no choice especially when our hair's becoming unruly and vacation time is still several months away. Red Carpet in Suleimania, near Military Hospital, is where we get our haircut for SR50 (once or twice a year). But we found a good directory of beauty shops and other ladies' shops in Riyadh. Check the Riyadh Guide for Bridal Beauty. We'll be checking some of the shops there too in the next months.
2. Hello poh...I ♥ your blog. I learned a lot from it. I'll be leaving Pinas this June. I'm a newbie... I'll be working as a nurse in Al Hada. I have no idea about the place. Can you give me some information about the place??? :)... Thanks a lot poh.
Will you be working in Al Hada Armed Forces Hospital in the Taif region? Hospitals manned by KSA's ministries (MOH or MODA) have generally better working conditions than those which are privately-owned. (But don't quote us on this, we haven't been to many hospitals and clinics here in Saudi, though we have a few friends working here and there.) Taif is like the Philippines' Baguio. It's considered as a good summer destination. Unfortunately, we haven't been in the Taif region of Saudi Arabia so we can't say anything about it based on our personal experience. We're sure you've researched about it on the Net so we can't add anymore than those which are published online about the hospital and the region. The only personal insight we can share is that Al Hada and Taif are still parts of Saudi Arabia so you may want to read all our guides and how-tos in living in the Kingdom. If ever you'll be visiting Riyadh (we're 8-9 hours away by land), drop us a line! Okay poh? :) Good luck!
3. I will work as a teacher in Saudi Arabia soon but my wife doesn't have a job lined up as yet and hopes to find one there. Do you think it would be easy enough?
Most dependent Filipinas here work as secretaries/hospital assistants in the hospitals. They usually get work through referrals of friends. Of course, it depends on her qualifications too. She can try submitting her resume through the local employment department of hospitals and companies (who accept females). While she's not yet employed, she can be not just a desert housewife.
4. Is it easy to meet Filipinos there?
Of course! You can start with us. Lol. There are many Filipinos here and we usually gather when there's an event in the Philippine embassy. One single event can lead to another and you'll soon have a vast network of friends and acquaintances. Also, maybe you can befriend your neighbors. I'm sure they know a lot of Filipinos (if they're not Filipinos themselves). Actually, wherever you go here in Riyadh, you'll find a Filipino, hehe. Make that... anywhere in the world! :P
5. Can you go to church?
There are no churches to go to.
6. We hope we can meet you there... we read your blog. It was funny and interesting.
Thank you very much! We hope you continue reading our blog. Good luck on your move to Saudi Arabia. Hope our blog helped.
If you have any comments or further questions on any of our topic there, comment here or ask us via formspring.

Toodles!

4 had something to say:

Mookie-Mookie said...

I passed Taif a couple of times before going to either Makkah or Jeddah. A cool place indeed but does not have any sky scrapers around. I consider it a small city to be exact.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I hope you have a good day! I am searching for SA cultures and the likes when I saw this blog, I love it, its helpful. Well, since you've been staying in Saudi, I am pretty sure you may have an idea about my inquiry, I am leaving Philippines after our marriage (hopefully by end of 2011) but I have a lot of concerns. My bf (husband-to-be, hehe) told me that he will process my visa there in Saudi before I will travel, i am not sure kung ano mas mabilis, he has no idea either because his not a Filipino, he's not aware of the policies in processing visa's here. Second concern is that, I heard a lot of prohibitions there, I am not that particular and I have no idea, I am afraid that I am violating some I do not know, do you have a list of those do's and dont's, or experiences nyo jan hehe. My bf keeps on telling me not to be afraid but still I need to know naman d ba? After reading some of the comments and your answers, I thought d naman pala cia ganun kastrict. There are family gatherings pa pala, but I have a question with this, swimming is included sa list but I wonder how is the set-up because its all boys and all girls jan d ba,unlike here in the Philippines, halo-halo, mapababae, mapalalaki sa may pool sila, how about there, should be all-boys, all-girls pa rin?. My bf is not sharing this stuffs baka daw matakot ako but keeps on telling everything is ok. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am hoping you can help me with my inquiry. Per above comment, most dependent Filipinas there work as secretaries/hospital assistants in the hospitals. How about job related to IT or BPO company, are ladies allowed? Thanks

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous: Hi there! One hting you should remember that most often than not, the method of segregation here is between men and FAMILIES. So in terms of swimming (not that there's a vast availability of public pools or bodies of water here), the schedule of swimming pool activity is categorized for single male days and family days. If it's in a compound, it will most likely have a single women's day. just like at where I work. hope that helps! -E

@Anonymous #2: There are available positions in IT for women, however, for an expat, it is quite rare. The Kingdom has invested a lot in producing Saudi IT graduates, hence, they are prioritized in the hiring process (male or female). As for the BPO industry, yes, there is are job availabilities, but that industry isn't really as prevalent here as it is in the Philippines.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...