For My Pet, BuBu

Friday, April 24, 2009

For My Pet, BuBu

Owning a pet is one of life's little treasures. Growing up in Riyadh and being an only child for the first ten years of my life, the pets I've had throughout my childhood have been my precious companions. There can never be a dull moment when another creature is amidst. Whether you are irritated with having to constantly feed or clean them, talking to them as if they can talk back, or simply observing their movements--these actions are a refreshing respite over a boring day.

I am writing this in memory of a loving, cheerful pet that I have lost recently. "Bush" or "BuBu" as I call him, was taken from our house last Tuesday. He stays at our porch, where his dog house is and its a few meters away from the gate of our house. If you live in Saudi Arabia, you will notice that all residential areas here don high walls and the idea of a "white-picket-fence" look-of-a-neighborhood is a remote idea here. According to my neighbor who witnessed the abduction (yes, I am calling it that), a group of Arab kids climbed over our wall and dragged Bush over the wall by pulling his leash. I am assuming that they are afraid that they'd bite him so they resorted to tugging him to their will. I can just imagine him shrieking in pain as they pulled him over that wall. When the kids finally managed to get him over the wall, they tied the leash to their bikes and rode off, dragging Bubu behind. My neighbor tried to run after them, but since they were in bikes, it was somewhat a lost cause. It is very painful for me to recount this story, but I want the world to know how ignorant and cruel these Arab youngsters are. And how their lack of compassion and education reflects poorly on their culture. I have lost pets before, but never in this disgusting and cruel manner.

I don't know if Bubu is still alive, or what. I am drawn to tears just imagining what they could have done to him, knowing the attitudes of these kids. I feel responsible that day because as I was leaving the house that morning, he seemed adamant to stay behind our second gate (the one that leads directly to our house proper) but since he's not potty trained, I always have him stay on the porch whenever I leave for work. Looking back, maybe that was a sign that I should have let him stay inside the house instead. And maybe this tragedy wouldn't have happened.

The hardest part for me was coming home that night and not having my dog greet me cheerfully and excitedly as he always does. I wanted to collapse on the stairs where we used to sit and play catch. I sat there for a good five minutes, cried and said a little prayer. I miss him so much.



Bush. A Black American Terrier. I was supposed to change his name to Obama after he won but Bubu stuck. He was supposed to turn 2 this June. Please say a little prayer for him.

Norah Jones' track "Thinking of You" is dedicated to him. A wonderful creature who made me smile, who made me laugh, who I whispered my secrets to and whose energizing spirit never ceased to amaze me. I LOVE YOU BUSH! Always.

:(

-ec-


6 had something to say:

The Pope said...

I have a Matrese dog here in Doha, and twice a week I am bringing her out for a 1 - 2 hours walk just around our block. One afternoon, as we are casually walking on the side of the road, a group of your Arabs riding in a car slows down and suddenly threw a bottled mineral water hitting my dog in the head, and afterward, the car suddenly accelerated at full speed.

I'll offer a prayer for Bush that may she survived or even escaped from the animal cruelties of Arab youngsters.

Anonymous said...

Its a fact that they hate dogs here. I remember being reprimanded by my boss to remove my cleaning dog screensaver on my pc.

the doctor is thin said...

aawww.... gurl i didn't know it was this bad. double serving of hugs for you!

Anonymous said...

being an animal-lover all my life, it angers me when i hear cruel stories like this. i can not fathom how some people could be so disgustingly heartless.
stay strong hun. i'll keep BuBu in my prayers.

eyecandy23 said...

@ The Pope: That means a lot. Thank you. :)

@ Anonymous(1): Regardless, that doesn't make stealing and torturing my dog right.

@ The Doctor is Thin: *receiving your hugs*

@Anonymous(2): Keeping strong, thank u so much.

Anonymous said...

*insert loud shrieking and cursing in all the languages she knows (more than five if we include geek talk)*

*can't stop cursing in her head so can't make a coherent comment on this blog*

*sighing and hyperventilating*

Okay here goes. I will see those kids in hell, my dear. And I will string them up and hang them on MY bike. And ride them up all around Tartarus.

*whew now back to cursing*

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...