News From Home, The Digital Version

Monday, September 5, 2011

News From Home, The Digital Version

I love digital reading materials. As an online student, I live and breathe "digital" 10 months a year. So it's no surprise that I've developed a liking to ebooks, pdf textbooks, digital comics and mangas... but what I've been craving for is news... not just any news, but the meaty no-nonsense news found in our local newspapers.

Yes, I can read the headlines online for free but it lacks the appeal that traditional newspapers offer. I read the newspaper from front to back and devour every page. I like to look at the headlines, glaze over the business section, look at advertisements, browse the cinema and theater listings, read up on the lifestyle section (my fave), checkout the job market and read the local comic strips.

So you can say that I got really excited when I learned that the Philippine Daily Inquirer is now available through its digital edition. Some people criticized this as ripping readers off because the content was on a subscription basis. But to be honest, I felt that the bad reviews were made by people who didn't actually bother downloading a digital issue. So I decided to give it a try... why not? They had a no obligation 14 day/issue trial offer. What was there to lose?

Your digital news stand
I downloaded the app for my iPad. The Inquirer app is free. I signed up for a free account and tried out their 14 day trial period.  Let's just say that I was blown away! The whole user experience was easy and it didn't take long before I downloaded the Sunday issue. In terms of format, the PDI Digital Edition is similar to the online version of Cosmopolitan and Marie Claire, which are offered by online bookstores like Barnes&Noble.

The PDI Digital Edition gives you, not just the headlines, but the actual content of the news as they appear in print. If you're like me who appreciates the actual layout of printed newspapers, you'll understand my fascination. It gives you everything they have on the actual paper version of the newspaper. You will get even the local news in the provinces, the editorials, obituaries, the job openings, the cartoons... even the ads!
 
I miss editorial cartoons.
For the business minded
Lifestyle
This is something you don't get for free on other websites. I for one felt nostalgic when I saw the telecom ads and the theater listings....

Updates on local Indie Films
I've been fixating on Anne Hathaway's boots for a few days now. ^_^
You can click on a headline and a reader-friendly version pops up. Forget about cutting up the newspaper to clip articles! With the digital editions, you can email it, link it to twitter and Facebook or Airprint with compatible printers!

Very social network friendly. ^_^
Another reason why I love this is because it's a more earth-friendly way to appreciate newspapers. If you think about it, local prices for a paper-based PDI issue costs 20 pesos. The digital edition, only 10-14 pesos depending on your subscription package. They've already taken out the paper and delivery costs out of the price, reducing their carbon footprint as well. After the trial period, I decided to subscribe for one year. It only costs me about 99 halalas each day. Deal na for all the content I'm getting!

As an expatriate in Riyadh, I don't need to go to Batha to buy our local newspaper anymore. I can just download it on my iPad... less paper waste, less effort. Personally, I find it refreshing not to have old newspapers lying around the house. Let's be honest, I don't sell tinapa and I don't have a dog to paper train, so I don't need a regular supply of old newspapers.

A cup of coffee and my newspaper in a tablet! Geek bliss! ^^,
For a week now, my mornings have been perkier because I look forward to the news that will be delivered via wifi. In a way, it has rekindled a love for newspapers as well as a new found interest in what's happening in our country. I get to read about the good things about our country too, and not just the sensationalized news broadcasted here.

I understand that this is not for everybody. Some people like to collect newspapers and some are not used to reading online. I suppose these are for people who own tablets and are willing to pay for content. People who are used to reading online and don't mind spending money on subscriptions. No one will force you to make the switch. 

But for me, the mere fact that this technology is available now in the Philippines is amazing. I am so happy to know that our country is catching up with the ICT trend in communications and learning. I think this is a wonderful step towards modernity and another way to ease the homesickness. 


Sampaguita Pride

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...