Holy Hamburgers!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Holy Hamburgers!

I'M NOT GOING to lie. Often times, I dream about food. Don't hate, I know you do too! And on some days, I have this recurring dream of ... what I would call, a "Holy Hamburger"... one that's surrounded by cherubims singing with a halo shining above it (enter sound effects of heaven opening its gates). This holy hamburger is the burger that you've been craving for. Juicy, tender meat patty grilled to perfection. Crisp lettuce and zingy onions. Generous dollops of mayonnaise with a bit of ketchup and mustard. Gooey, melting cheese cushioning the meat between those warm, soft, sesame-seed-topped buns. You stare at the Holy Hamburger and you just know in your gut, it's THAT good. I've often prayed for this holy hamburger to come to life and reveal itself to me one day. And ladies and gentlemen, I believe the holy hamburger is now here on Earth. My burger prayers have been answered, and I proclaim upon all men who read this: the holy hamburger can be found at Burger Fuel. For now. 

Leave it to me to romanticize food, but they don't call me the Woman of Food for nothing. A couple of months back, the ladies and I discovered this newly opened joint at the corner of Dhabab and Thalateen Street in Riyadh. I have got to give Burger Fuel props because they practically established their restaurant right across a McDonald's joint, which, let's face it, a popular and most obvious choice for many people. Nevertheless, it's something for those who have a heart for trying out something new and maybe, just maybe, you can fall in love. (Yes, I fell in love with this burger. And I'll tell you why!) 

Over the last year, a lot of specialty burger stores have opened around the city. Most of them capitalizing of its organic origins (so as to elevate you from the rest), or just how "big" their portions are  (some would even call it fat) or some sort of special method of cooking (such as smashing, I suppose) that makes their burgers different. They all offer their burger meals at a price range of 23SR to 35SR -- a far, and often outrageous price for a "sandwich" you might say. But then again, there is an apparent market, and the owners of these bad boys know that we foodies like to make it rain when we like it. ;) Pun intended.

Burger Fuel via Franchise

Let's talk venue first: Well, not that they are gender specific, but from my observation, it's pretty "men-centric." I mean, there is an automotive displayed out front with the interior of the restaurant being diner-style inspired. (And they're beside a Goodyear, which is precisely a guy's realm!) The menu itself is not for a fickle-minded lady. I remember telling my friends that their menu list was so straight-forward and simple. No dilly-dallying. One page. Back-to-back. Not rocket science. Not complicated. (Pretty much what I would say about men in general). But this is not to say that this is not a family place. Their Family Section does have a kiddie room where your toddlers can watch TV and play and they have booths big enough to accommodate six people at once but I would say overall, the vibe of the restaurant is very manly. Add to that the servers who mostly have tattoos on them. :) 

Now onto the burgers. Burger Fuel was founded in New Zealand and therefore they pride themselves in using only 100% Pure New Zealand Ground Beef (I think they use the ones featured in the famous Anchor milk cans, LOL, I am kidding New Zealand!) Their gourmet burgers range from beef, chicken and vegetarian and they have some unique items on the menu like the "MotoBites" and the "Monster Burger." So why do I love Burger Fuel and have unabashedly dubbed it as the resting place of the Holy Hamburgers? I instantly got hooked on their burgers because they were just packed with flavor and succulent meat that I have not encountered it in any other specialty burger store. As Joey of Friends would say, "Bread, gooood. Meat, goooood. Sauce, goooood!" Haha. Well, you know that feeling when you bite into something good and you instantly want to do a happy dance in your seat? That's what I feel when I eat at Burger Fuel. 

I've been blabbing for a while now, so let me show you some photos first. 

Are you ready to rummmmmbbbbbbbllllllle???
If you can read the label on the thing above the french fries, that's the Doofer -- a cardboard-folding burger holder that's actually patented by the Burger Fuel company. Yes! Patented! I personally don't think it works for me in terms of helping me hold my burger, but I guess it's just a cool idea. The Doofer btw, is made out 100% recycled material. 

Will it you devour it before it devours you? #monsterburger
They pack their burgers by stamping its kind on the outside. Also handy in case you can't finish the entire thing because let me tell you now, they are not 30SR and above for nothing...these burgers are humongous. 

--

Now, when it comes to burgers, I am not prim and proper about it. I like to get messy with it and I don't mind if my fingers get dripped with sauce from time to time. Eating a burger at Burger Fuel would probably require you a one-bite to one-tissue ratio, like me. Unless you have a big mouth. Be warned then, that if you do order at Burger Fuel, consuming it is not for the sitting pretty. You gotta butch it up a bit (it's worth it, I promise). 

The Studnut Stilton, 33SR
Let's start with the Studnut Stilton which showcases mostly, the Stilton cheese sauce and fresh avocado.   When we first ordered this, we were actually expecting sliced avocados inside the burger, but found it to be an avocado spread instead. The distinct smell of the Stilton cheese is there, but taste-wise, the avocado spread prevailed on this one. 


The HotRod, 33SR
Spicy lovebirds, you will like this one -- the HotRod is abundant with jalapenos in between and once you bite in all the elements together, it can make for a wonderful and manageable firework in your mouth.  

The C N Cheese, 30SR
If you like it gooey and cheesy, then the C N Cheese is the obvious choice. The beef is beautifully blanketed by a slice of melted cheddar and powdered with grated parmesan cheese. Can you just imagine how those flavors will mesh in your palates? I can taste it with my mind right now. YUM! 

The Roadster Special, 35SR+ with extra toppings

This is my current favorite and is actually not featured on their regular menu. What makes the Roadster different is the addition of fried onion rings and BBQ sauce. On this particular photo, I had them add bacon to it, because clearly, everything needs a little bacon on it. Ultimate holy hamburger right up there!!! 

V Twin Vege, 27SR

I love me some veggies so it's only right that I pay homage to them at my current favorite burger spot. The V Twin Vege's patty is made out of mushroom, kumara (like sweet potato), chickpea and basil. They top it with a slice of cheddar cheese and plum sauce along with the salad and relish. It's not one of those veggie burgers that makes you believe that you're not eating a veggie burger. This was actually S' observation. But I think that's because it's not made with a soy ingredient, so it doesn't have that "meat-like texture" to it. It does really feel like a literal, veggie pattie. It had a little nutty taste for me and while it wasn't that engaging, you'll know that it's good for you. 

The BF Monster, 35SR
Cross-section of a BF Monster, magnification 100x
Here you have the supreme burger of all the burgers at Burger Fuel, the BF Monster. Squeezed into this giant burger are the 100% pure NZ ground beef, melted cheddar, sliced beetroot, juicy mango, fresh avocado, beef bacon, salad, relish and their signature aioli sauce. This right here is massive and you would really have to dig in it. The crunch of the salad with the mesh of avocado, beet root and mango compliment the flavor of the meat (along with the bacon) and makes for a party in your mouth. Expect the drippings on the bottom as you attack this monster, though. If you have the intestine of a boa constrictor, then by all means, consume one (or two to three) all on your own. But if you have a normal digestive tract, a half portion of this would be enough to satisfy your belly. 

Spud Fries at 9SR

Their fries aren't really anything special except that they aren't as salty as other restaurants have them. They are thickly-cut and you can spend a minute (or as long as you want) on one fry alone. Served with their signature Aioli sauce.

Coke Sakto.
Here's my one beef with them. With burgers THAT huge, they have beverage servings as big as my pinky finger. Srsly. Whatever their reason for serving miniature cola drinks is beyond me. It just doesn't match the vibe at all. Can it be a marketing thing? I don't know. If I were you, pack your own 2.5 liter of Coke. Or bottled water or juice drinks. Unless you want to pair your burgers with their malt shakes (which are normally big in serving naman).

MotoBites, 22SR

And last but not least, one of the more unique finds in their restaurant is the MotoBites side dish. It's a good alternative to fries for once, made of pumpkin and ginger balled up over some crumble. It's texture is closely related to that of a mashed potato but sweeter and tastier because it's made of pumpkin. There is that ground pepper taste as well but you can diffuse that once you dip it in either the aioli sauce or yogurt relish. 


Apart from all the specialty/gourmet burgers in town, I think Burger Fuel is the only one that gives me real value for my money. I would spend 35SR on their burgers on any given day. Heck, I even walked on my own across from Tamimi to their store just to be able to bring home some. That's how good I think it is. 

Burger Fuel is located at Thalateen St. 
Contact No.: 011-462-9595
(No Delivery Service, Pick-up only)

As for you fellow daydreamers of good food, keep dreaming. Keep believing. Great tasting food is out there. It is within your reach. If you can imagine it, you can eat it. If all else fails, cook it yourself. Haha! That's what I do. Happy holy hamburgers to all! 


xoxo,
Eyecandy

6 had something to say:

Naif said...

honestly I expected it to be better but it's not bad nor it was the best.the best burger in Riyadh was in Burger Boutique but it closed :( so the best burger in Riyadh at this time is in Smash Burger it's the nearest to Shake Shack,Oh & almost forgot Route 7 Diner is also great.

The Pink Tarha said...

@Naif: We've tried Smash and it was just okay. Their sweet potato fries are good though! We'd be back for it. We haven't tried Route 7 Diner. We'll try it next time! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

siddiqafazal said...

I recently tried johnny rockets. .burger was ok ok hut milkshakes are just out of the world!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to lick the screen!

Anonymous said...

go girl just enjoy eating :)

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose you have a listing of all the burger joints in Riyadh ? Anyway, I tried a couple of them and my favorite is so far Smash Burger...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...