Epic Curio

Friday, July 5, 2013

Epic Curio

Artists, I found your heaven! 

But first, let me tell you how my friends and I found it. You know how I like researching before going on a store in Riyadh right? (It actually spawned an entry on how to find your way in Riyadh.) So I found this map in Curio's Facebook page. I was feeling confident that we can find it immediately. After all, the map tells me to just turn left when we reach the intersection after Riyadh Gallery in King Fahd Street. Based on this map, the store was supposed to be on the right side...

Guess where it is? Yes, on the left side. Jam, a friend who wasn't aware at first that we're going to a store named Curio already saw in on the other side of the street while I and her sister Jou were staring at the right side. She thought, "Oooooh... Curio... niiiice!" Only when we were kilometers away did she told us that she saw it. *facepalm* But we're sooo glad she found it. Hahaha! It took a couple of U-turns and an irritated taxi driver to reach Curio. Haha! Anyway...

Curio Art Supplies in Imam Saud Bin Abdullah Street is one store you shouldn't miss. Even if you're just a trying hard artist like me, drop by and ogle at the many ways you can create beautiful arts and crafts. Students of the arts, or those doing school projects, can find something helpful and useful here. I consider this as my wasteland, a place where I wanted to buy every thing even if I don't need it. It's good for the store but bad for my wallet. I wanted to buy every thing!!!

An artist's field of gold.
We had to wait for the prayer to finish. When it opened, we filed inside like giddy little kids who just found a candy store. I was screaming in my head and ooohing and aaahing at the art supplies I'm seeing in industrial room-inspired racks and shelves. Without further adieu, here's what you can find in undoubtedly one of my favorite stores in Riyadh now:  

My kind of candy land.
I like the simple yet sleek industrial touches.
The centerpiece for me is these steel chests that has jars containing markers. The expensive kind. So if you're obsessed on marking, this is where you go to first. 

Krink highlighters and markers
You want colors?! Have more!
Krink is one of the popular brands of markers. The ones on the transparent jars are ink markers and water-based paint markers. They have a more compact kind of paint marker which can fit any artist's pocket:

Get krinking!
More paint markers for large areas.
In the corner is a shelf filled with acrylic paints from Golden Artist Colors, a company started by Sam Golden and his family in 1980 in New Berlin. Golden Artist Colors' paints known for its highest quality and consistency.

This is an artist's gold!
Acrylics that are exceptionally smooth and buttery
There are also other brands of acrylics with different finishes...

Acrylic sprays from Montana

Acrylics with velvety finish
Daler Rowney liquid acrylic in pearlescent finish
Can't get enough of acrylics eh?

Of course, what's painting without the brushes? A whole wall is devoted to brushes of all kinds and sizes.

Brushes of all sizes!
Palettes and brush sets
In the middle of the store is a small rack and shelf of more art supplies:

The middle scene
You're missing the papers and books for your art? On the lower tier are heaps of books for pencil sketching, acrylic painting, calligraphy, etc.

Papers and sketch books
A small rack is devoted to Max Oil Colors from Grumbacher Art:

For the oil painting enthusiasts
Above this rack is a place for Fimo Clay from Staedtler:

Soft clay for your projects; up to 24 brilliant colors!
Speaking of clay, there are a lot of crafts for your kids too. One huge shelf is for activities you can do for your kids. Or if they know better, leave them to it. ;)

Sets for your artistic kids. If they're not that artistic, it's never too late! ;)
Clay, markers, paints that are safe for kids to use.
Have a fun art day with your children! Oooh, I miss Crayola!
And now we come to my favorite shelf in the whole store:

I LOOOVE YOU!
Why? Because it contains my favorite things in the whole wide world! Haha! I told you I'm not an artist. Far from it. But I want to try and I find the items on this shelf the best starters for someone like me who only has a beautiful handwriting to be proud of. (Naks! Haha!)

For this alone, I am already head over heels!
The Moleskine is one of the best finds in this store. My friend and I were looking for Moleskine for the longest time! It's the legendary notebook used by famous people (Van Gogh, Hemingway, and Picasso lang naman!). I doubt using this would make you famous but just in case, your writings and drawings will last a long time because Moleskine notebooks guarantees them to last. The Moleskine in Curio is limited but I just like the ruled notebook so I'm one happy customer. (Okay basically, it's just one helluva expensive notebook.)

Can you guess what this is?

You know this!!!
Beloved Sharpie!!! You might think I'm crazy but I like Sharpies!!! (Notice how I used an excessive number of exclamation points in two sentences?! That's how excited I am in seeing these pens!) Ermn, I just like using Sharpie markers and highlighters. If I can hoard all the colors, I would!

Be mine! All the lot of you!
There are other brands of permanent pens too:

In various sizes and colors.
The Copic brand is expensive.
Those colors from Tombow! Hay, love!
Here are other medium that you can use:

Pastels anyone?
Watercolors too.
Pencils, of course!
Calligraphy pens, the reason why I'm here!
Other interesting finds in Curio:

Pens made of recycled bottles.
Rule the world!
Glue for all your project needs
Easels and boards
Paintings for sale
Books and art magazines
I even found one of the fashion illustration books I was eyeing in an online book store for quite some time:

If only I can draw this well! SR59
Curio has a lot of good quality art supplies that will satisfy the artist in you. And even if you're not quite the Picasso or da Vinci, visiting this store will awaken the artist that might be running in your blood but you're just too busy to mind. I feel like I become a notch more creative just by being in this store. Prices are a bit above average. If you want to inquire on prices, you can contact Curio (details below) and they reply fast. Don't forget to visit their Instagram account to see more available brands and products.

I'm off to the cashier!
What I took home with me.
Share with me your creations, okay? I'll be very glad to see them. I might show you my calligraphy projects too... after a few months or so. Haha! Yes, it will take me that long to learn. I'm quite worried at the result, haha! Oh well, 'creativity takes courage!' ~ Sundrenched

Curio Art Supplies 
Imam Saudi Bin Abdullah Street
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
T: +966-11-2297090
Twitter: @curioksa

Map to Curio
Directions: Travel in King Fahd Road until you reach Riyadh Gallery. On the intersection, turn left. Go straight. Curio is on the left side. Take the U-turn slot to reach it.

If you're looking for places in Riyadh, visit this comprehensive Riyadh Map made by the Saudi Expats Podcast team.

2 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for all the photos & info! Been scouring all corners of riyadh for a sharpie. Too. :D any chance uve seen a metal stamping kit there too?

The Pink Tarha said...

Hi Anonymous 7:11PM: Glad you found the Shapies! Haha! Sorry, we're not sure if they have metal stamping kit but you can call the store and the salesmen are friendly. Thanks! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...