Pink for October

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pink for October


October is officially the Breast Cancer Awareness Month and The Pink Tarha Ladies joins everyone in celebrating this worthy cause. Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in women and though it affects more women over forty, the rest of us will be better off in engaging in preventive measures concerning why and how we can get the disease (not just us ladies, but all you men out there too).

The least we can do as individuals (apart from wearing pink) is to keep our loved ones informed about breast cancer. You can start with your mother or sister and any relative/friend. Get a mammogram. It's important to get checked regularly because early detection entails a higher survival rate. Don't disregard it until it may be too late.

You can read more about the facts concerning breast cancer at The Breast Cancer Site. They also have ways on how you can help people with breast cancer.

On a personal note, E's mom was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer four years ago. Because of early detection, the tumor was removed and she is now cancer free.

God bless all those continuing the fight!

2 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

In five years, we lost two to breast cancer: an aunt and a cousin. A year ago, a young friend in college also succumbed to this illness. I hence join hands with you in this campaign to disseminate info on breast cancer. Will create a post soon.

Anonymous said...

My mom still has benign cysts on her breasts. She got an operation when I was still in highschool or was that elementary...that was the first time that I ever saw my mom out from the hospital apart from giving birth. I always thought she was a superwoman, I figured even supermoms get sick too. My grandma died because of breast cancer, so I guess my mom knew she would get it someday so she kept reminding me all sorts of superstition about breast cancer care.

I always remember that my mom is in remission. She never stopped drinking pineapple juice (del monte) since her operation. I didn't like pineapples so I complained when she bought them. But she told me when I was old enough to not be stubborn about it that pineapples is her own personal chemo. She wants to keep her body as healthy as she can since she knew if she abuses it, then she would have to get another operation.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...