The Allure of Al-Khobar Part 1 of 3

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Allure of Al-Khobar Part 1 of 3

If you're tuned in to the Pink Tarha tweets and plurks last Eid vacation (September 16-25 for us), you should have known that the Pink Tarha Ladies decided to separate ways. Indeed it's true. We took different roads... leading to different destinations!

Did you think we disbanded? Ano kami, all-girl singing group?! LOL. We just spent our Eid holidays away from each other. We were separated by distance. Awww. (But we'll get back together again soon.)

We heeded our How To Spend Your Eid Vacation entry. Eyecandy did number 4 while Shoegarfreeruby and yours truly took number 1. (M is in the Philippines right now.) R went to Bahrain while moi went to the Eastern province for the nth third time. First was last year's eid vacation too while second is during my whirlwind train trip with E. Goes to show how much I miss my province back home. I long for the province's simple allure.

Anyway, on to the journey to Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia! Yey! I decided to do a three-part feature on Al-Khobar because this is one, if not the primary, destinations of OFWs in Riyadh during breaks (weekends, holidays, etc.). And why not? It's near, it's laidback, and it's very beach-y. Love! But before we reach this urban center, I'll walk you through the road trip.

Al-Khobar is four hours away by car. If your mean machine is well-oiled and built for the journey, go for it! Yes, yes, it might seem such a boring idea but believe me, the things you'll discover on the road is so interesting it will make you write a post about them. Haha. Best time to start the journey will be around 3 or 4 in the morning. Make sure your driver is alert by now.

So, it's all sand in there? Look closer.

True, it's all desert. Magsasawa ka. It's bleak and dry and the sun's muted rays can hurt your eyes but you don't have to stare at your surroundings all the time. I was alternating in finding the best napping position inside a moving vehicle, taking a nap, and looking outside. Very productive noh? The good thing about this is the roads are so smooth and wide. It's like cruising along NLEX (only better) all the way to the destination.

No to boredom.

Once on the road, you might think it'll get boring from now on. After all, what can you possibly do while crammed in the backseat? Well, try doing what my brothers and I did: eat, sing, dance (yes, dancing on the seat imagine!), laugh, sleep, and picture-picture. Have a sound trip, laugh trip or both on your trip na trip.

What I hate about this trip is the comfort rooms located on the gasoline stations in the side of the road. While gas stations are like mushrooms sprouting once in a while in the desert, they do not offer clean comfort rooms. (Thus my visions of desert oasis are clouded forever.) The ladies' CR are not just plain dirty, they're smelly and disgusting. (I dunno about the the guy's version but I'm expecting it's more or less the same, or worse!) Please tell me you've gone to better comfort rooms somewhere so the next time I have to go to one, I will know there's a saving grace somewhere in those roadside pit stops.

Are we there yet?!

Finally, we reached Al-Khobar four hours later. This city is a part of the "triumvirate" with Dammam and Dhahran. Others call them "triplets" because of their proximity and likeness to each other.

We had to find a flat in one of those apartment/ hotel buildings in the center and settled in Al-Bushra Hotel Apartments. The hotel is conveniently located near markets, groceries, and major highways. Priced at SR1,300 for a 3-day/2-night stay, we found the suite affordable. It has three bedrooms, two CRs (clean, thank goodness), a living room and a small kitchen. Okay na sa olrayt.

Sunshine through my window.

I chose the bed near the window because I love the sun. I want the sun's rays flooding my bedroom in the morning. And look, I have a good view of the King Abdul Aziz street below and the mosque across the street. I was worried I might awaken everytime the dawn salah calls but it didn't happen. I was fast asleep under the warm comforter. The large pillow strained my neck a little because it was too high. The bed can accommodate two persons, wala nga lang galawan. Good thing, I'm the only one occupying this space, or else laglag ang katabi. LOL.


Views from my window.

My younger brother was amazed on the different kind of hotness in this place, especially during the afternoon of our first day when we were about to head to the beach. It's his first time in Al-Khobar (pero sabi n'ya "Hoy, hindi ko 'to first time sa Al-Khobar. Second time na... yung una kaninang umaga. Yung pangalawa naman ngayong hapon!" Geeez!). The air is hot and humid, unlike Riyadh's hot and crisp. The vibe in this municipality has always been laidback and relaxed compared to the capital city. Okay, okay, we know... visitors to Riyadh will always find it a snob city - stiff and strict. So yes, if you want to breathe a little, head to Al-Khobar. It's the perfect weekend getaway.

The beach is our next destination. See me in my bikini. LOL. The second installment of this travel series is not too far away. See you then.

7 had something to say:

Nebz said...

Owwww...you should have contacted Kenjie para nakapag-organize sya ng isang dinner. Sayang.

Riyadh as a snob city: A friend based in Riyadh said that Filipinos in Riyadh are so unlike people in Alkhobar (although I think he's just being too clannish of Khobar dahil masama ang loob nya sa paglipat sa Riyadh...hehe).

And you went to Half Moon during Eid. Oh dear. Ang daming tao dun!

Looking forward to reading more of your Alkhobar vacay.

Nebz said...

On the toilet: It's much, much worse. It's undescribable.

I went to Riyadh before Eid. Rode a VIP bus. I used the loo and was surprised to find out that I'm supposed to use it sitting down! (Can you imagine that?!). Of course, I didn't. Huli na kasi nang mabasa ko ang sign. Hehe.

Ken said...

huh?

Oo nga. We know the hotel, kasi nga we we have a friend living near the area. Ang Daya! hehehe

di bale. next time ha.

Al Khobar is great, medyo expensive city lang siya compare sa other cities...that's what ive heard

Sundrenched said...

@Nebz: A dinner with the Thoughtskoto family and you would have been great but I was pressed with time. Next time po, promise. True, I'm sure there are comparisons of OFWs in Riyadh, Al-Khobar and even Jeddah but I guess it comes with the environment of the place we're in. Well, TPT Ladies are nice and friendly though, we assure you that. LOL.

Ahhh, the comfort rooms which are not comfortable at all. I wanted to vomit when I saw the CR I've gone to, but someone beat me to it so I managed to got the hell out of there in 3 seconds flat. I wish they somehow manage to clean it. Srsly.

@Mr. Thoughtskoto: Thank you for the invitation but I'm kindda shy. LOL. Don't worry, next time TPT Ladies go there, we'll be telling you... lalo na kung libre ang dinner. LOL! I found some quaint cafes tucked between streets there that I'd like to try next time.

Yep, my uncle who works in Al-Khobar told me that he enjoys his stay there but stuff are more expensive than in Riyadh.

mightydacz said...

wow na missssss as in super misss ko tuloy ang khobar the place is so clean and cute yes cute dahil maliit lang sya unlike sa riyadh malaki masyado at malinis compared sa place ko now sa jeddah lol kobar is my first big sauna lol as in sauna coz of the weather always humid specially sa summer, my second sauna area is the present palce jeddah same humid all the time...

nakakamiss din ang tumambay sa corniche.ang ramaniyah at ang kadiwa

oi nga pala buti hindi ka nakasama sa alkhobar riot may blog ako about doon sa ngyari lol

Sundrenched said...

@dacz: Yes, a sauna! Al-Khobar definitely reminds me of a sauna. LOL. But I love that there's the sea nearby. Pang-relax ng mga mata. I've been to Ramaniyah once (on my first trip last year). Version ng Batha ng Al-Khobar! :)
It was a good thing na nakaalis na kami before the riot happened.

Chreespee said...

Hahaha. Natawa naman ako sa comment ng brother mo about being in Khobar the second time (the first one in the morning). Khobar is really a nice place. It's actually more of like Manila, minus the cinemas and bars. Compared to Jubail, it's really considered, "Manila in Eastern Province" by most Filipinos.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...