The Korean/Japanese Food Store in Riyadh

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Korean/Japanese Food Store in Riyadh

18 years in the business and it was just my first time to step into this store last Monday. Wooow! To think that we almost always pass by near this place when going home. Finally, after hearing it from countless friends and acquaintances, even getting queries on it from our readers, I get to visit the Korean/Japanese store in Riyadh.

The Korean/Japanese Food Stuff Store (I can't read the name of the store, sorry!) is located near the new Holiday Inn, in a building sandwiched between the King Fahd Road and Olaya Street. If you're coming from Faisaliah, going towards Khurais Road, you just have to pass the intersection and turn right on the second small street where TNT sat on the corner and across is Sunbulah Grocery. You'll find a map at the end of this entry.

Somebody please read the name of this store!
Without further ado, here are the things you can buy from the Korean/Japanese Grocery. I didn't understand half of the stuff I took photos of because they're either 1. in another language or 2. I didn't know such food stuff existed. I cannot answer your questions regarding prices because they were not readily available on the shelves. Most items are tagged though, I just didn't get them. :P

Warning: LOTS of photos coming up!

A typical grocery but with organized and wide enough aisles
Special tea?
Various rice: for sushi, brown rice, and beans
Crumbs for tempura!
Japanese curry meals
Noodles, ramen, and crackers
Weee, spicy cham pong!
Mustard powder for uhhh, I don't know. :P Lots of various seasonings!
Noodles oodles!
Lots of stuff I don't know, hehe.
For the Korean version of pasta?
Spicy kick!
Now you can make maki!
Let's go to the "wet market" of sauces and refrigerated stuff...
Is that Datu Puti I'm spotting below? :)
Cooking oils, vinegar, soy sauce, various mixes for viands 

Sauces, sauces, sauces to cook Korean food, hehe.
E will be glad to find chili oil! For dumplings!
Oooh, Bulgogi sauce! And tea, coffee, etc.
I spy mochi! Niiice!
Red bean siopao... wonder how they taste?
Is that preserved chili or something?!
Tofu aka tokwa!
Flavored tofu and more seaweed sheets
Korean appetizers
Dilis!
Fish roe and tender beef
Fish cakes for ramen!
I didn't get what these are, sorry!
More seaweed shreds

Juices and tetra packs... 
Lots of food stuff to see and buy, yey!
They also have huge freezers for frozen fishes and prawns. There are frozen dumplings too. This store also has ready-to-cook Korean dishes. I bought a pack of their bulgogi (grilled marinated beef), a Korean dish I luuurve for SR40. It's supposed to be barbecued but since I can't do that, I just cooked it in a pan. I ate a lot of rice with it! Nomnomnom! :)

I cooked bulgogi! Yeee! HAHA!
The SR40 pack is good enough for a dinner of a family of 3-4. We also bought a pack of instant cham pong noodles. Cham pong is a popular Korean noodle dish with red, spicy seafood broth. We have yet to try it. Prices of the goods in this store are fairly reasonable, especially when you take into account that most of the items are imported from Korea or Japan. Some are from the States.

There's also kalbi/galbi (barbecued marinated beef short ribs) but it's not available. If it becomes available again, you MUST try it. It's one of the most popular dishes in Korean Palace Restaurant (but it's also not currently available there).

You can also order gimbap/kimbap, the Korean version of maki. Order a day in advance so you'll have it freshly-made in the morning. And of course, there's always the kimchi, Korea's national dish. A dish of fermented vegetables (mostly cabbage or radish) with a variety of seasonings. 

Don't forget a souvenir:

Kyot!
Mobile phone charms
I enjoyed my visit to this Korean/Japanese store and I'm sure you will too. So what are you waiting for? Oh right... you don't know where it is... here's a map I made:

Click image for a larger version.
Don't forget to greet the salesman 'Anyong haseyo!'... even if he's not Korean. Hehe. ~ Sundrenched


Korean/Japanese Food Stuff Store
Olaya Street, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
T: +966-1-293-2978
M: +966-50-529-0596

28 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

hello. the name is Hanarumh supermarket.

The Pink Tarha said...

Cool! Thanks for the info. :)

Anonymous said...

The red boxes you thought were preserved chili paste is Gochujang, the red chili paste you have with Bibimbap. The brown box in the middle is Doenjang, its sort of the Korean version of the Japanese miso

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing...I've been looking for Japanese breadcrumbs! Hehehe...

Anonymous said...

do they sell kewpi japanese mayonnaise do you know?

Anonymous said...

not sure this posted already - but do you know if they have kewpie mayonnaise?

The Pink Tarha said...

Anonymous 2:31PM: Unfortunately, we don't even know what kewpie mayonnaise is. Haha. No, we're not sure if it's available here. Sorry.

Unknown said...

thanks God, after years of asking someone back home to bring me these stuff, its just now I browse into the web of searching store here in Riyadh..my bad...thank you for the info...you saved my life ay!

Anonymous said...

are the prices reasonable for the products? 'coz i've been asking friends to buy these stuff for me back home. so good to know there's a place like this. you saved my life aye!

Anonymous said...

Thanx for info. But do they sell anything else exept food? For exp korean cosmetics. ^^

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous 10:57AM: Prices are reasonable when the import fees are taken into consideration. Thanks for reading The Pink Tarha! :)

@Anonymous 1:55PM: I haven't seen Korean cosmetics in the store.

Anonymous said...

Most of the time my menu ask for Hoisin sauce= do you know if by chance they have this sauce here? Thanks==

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous 12:59PM: Unfortunateky, we didn't see Hoisin Sauce here. Try Lulu Hypermarket in Olaya Street. :)

Anonymous said...

Do they have nissin cup noodles here (from japan)?

Unknown said...

saw your blog and i literally drag my sister and brother to go there... i have been craving for seaweeds for a very long time... will surely come back.. thanks for posting the map... more power to your blog..

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous: There are cup noodles but we're not sure if they're Nissin. I'll check it out again if I get to visit soon. :)

@Kat: Aww, thank you! Hope your siblings didn't blame us for them being dragged to the store. Haha! Thanks for reading The Pink Tarha. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I hear that there are three Korean Grocery stores in Riyadh and two Korean Restaurants. If anyone who knows the places, I'd appreciate if they can share. -Korean food lover.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this complete information.

Anonymous said...

This is interesting. I brought some items like chili paste, soybean paste, dried laver and chili powder from the Phils coz I like preparing Korean food, and I couldn't find any of these from the leading supermarkets here in Riyadh. I saw some photos of corn and rice syrup, things I am looking for. Thank you for the information. More power.

Anonymous said...

Well, who could have guessed that this was possible? I used to work in Korea and I have been craving Korean food but in my neck of the woods (South-Africa) there are no Korean shops, so I can't wait to get to Riyadh (I'm arriving later this month) and start shopping at Hanarumh supermarket (I could even still read the Korean!) The first thing I'm buying is kimchi and kotchuchang (the chilli paste). The stuff that you thought is tea could actually be Korean ginseng products. They even have my favourite ramyeon! Absolute bliss! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Whoooo!!!! found ya. been craving for kimchi and lots of korean foods. forgot to get before coming to riyadh. i'm gonna drag my friends there soon. :D thanks a lot

Anonymous said...

Does anybody know where can i learn korean language in riyadh?

Anonymous said...

do they have meiji chocolates here?

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous 1:16AM: Nope, they don't have Meiji.

Anonymous said...

谢谢你们! maramin salamat for this wonderful information! Well done !

Anonymous said...

yippeee!!!tnx for this...it's only across our street and never been there!!!!!!!!what a dork right??!!..will go there now na..

Anonymous said...

hi, just want to ask what time does the store open?
Plz rply...thank you inadvance.ツ

Anonymous said...

OMG! I've been looking for something like that! I love making Japanese dishes, but couldn't any store where i can get the things i needed( i mean basic ingredients used in Japanese food). I wonder if i can find the ingredients needed for dashi broth there or dashi powder! :/ Can't wait, i'm gonna check that store out soon! Arigato(thanks) really!! :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...