Q&A Portion 13 (UPOU Questions)

Friday, February 15, 2013

Q&A Portion 13 (UPOU Questions)

Hello Lovelies! Since we've been getting a lot of questions with regards to UPOU and Distance Learning, I've compiled the questions so far and I'll do my best to answer them. Do note that it's been a year since my graduation so I will answer these questions to the best of my knowledge based on my experience. If you have more questions, please leave a comment and I'll try to answer them too in another Q&A post.

Q1: Do you know how many units undergrads are allowed to take? 
A: I believe standard units are 6 per semester for working students but you can also take 9 units if the Dean will allow it. Personally, 6 units was just right for me. Though I do know some classmates who've done 9 units just to graduated earlier. However, I don't know how many units undergrads are allowed. Please email info@upou.edu.ph for more details. :)

Q2: Do you also know if they do accept students studying in another institution? 
A: Yes, but the school has to have an existing agreement with UPOU with regards to cross-enrollments.

Q3: How much is the application fee?
A: If you're based outside of the Philippines, the application fee is 100USD. If you're based in the Philippines, it's 500 PESOS.

Q4: Is the admission pack sent through postal mail or delivered thru LBC, etc? 
A: During my time, the admission pack was sent via EMS. I received a very much mangled package thanks to the very curious people at Saudi Post. I emailed UPOU about it and since then they've sent my books via DHL. They charged me around 300 SR for every package sent.

Q5: The Graduate Admission Test
A: Unfortunately, during my time they didn't require us to take any admission tests, they just asked us to send our TOR and based our enrollment  status on our previous grades. I had a probationary semester before I became a regular student at UPOU. Try contacting info@upou.edu.ph, they might direct you to someone who can answer your questions in more detail.

Q6: The Readiness Module
A: To my understanding, this is a course that UPOU requires some students to take to gauge whether online learning is the right mode of learning for them. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of info about this because I didn't go through it.

Q7: Since your grades in your bachelor's degree is one of the criteria for admission, I would like to ask you if you have any idea as to what grades we need to have to be accepted. I am asking because I would want to apply but my college grades are not really impressive. 
A: Some courses have a GWA requirement and its usually stated on the course info on the websites. I've seen some programs who require a GWA of 2.00 above to get in. It really depends. If you have some failed or dropped subjects, you will have to go through a probationary semester. During this time, you have to get really high grades to pass your probation. 

Q8: How long should I wait after sending the necessary requirements? 
A: It really depends on the program. With PTC and MDC, they informed me a month before the incoming school year. My best friends is taking MAN at UPOU right now and she said it took a while before they informed her of the results. I guess, it depends per college. You can try emailing admissions for updates.

Q9: I am still wondering if the units I had taken previously in the program I attended (MAN) in other school will be credited.
A: I think they will credit units as long as the course description of the subjects you took from the other school are the same. It's the same with regular Universities.

Q10: I would really appreciate any recommendation for a reviewer. Like a published book/reviewer which I can buy from any bookstore?
A: When I took the UPCAT when I was in High School, I just bought MSA books with mock exam activities.

Q11: Can I just ask you about the application form, it says Proposed Major Field and Minor Field. 
A: There was no option for Major with MDC so I left it blank. :)

Q11: I'm planning to take the Professional Teaching Certification and I was wondering if taking 6 units per trimester would be too much as I work from 9-5.
A: I took PTC before I shifted to MDC and I had a 9-5 job too. It was easier because I was always in front of the computer so when work was low, I would read my modules. But when I started teaching, I had less time online. I was also on my last semester with MDC with my special problem paper in the works. I found that 6 units was just enough to challenge me. I had to do a LOT of adjustments with regards to my time and I had to give up a lot of stuff like playing Farmville and going out but in the end, it was worth it. :)


XOXO
Sampaguita Pride

6 had something to say:

Jezza said...

Hi, i would like to know if there is still research in the curriculum of upou-man? Are we still required a thesis before graduation?

Anonymous said...

Hi. I took up BS Development Communication in UPLB and graduated last April 2012. As per their requirements, an applicant must have at least 1 year work experience to be qualified. By the time that I send my application, I will have already completed my one year work experience. But I'm afraid my experience in corporate communication would not suffice the requirement because I am in a different field. Should I change my career path or still try my luck and apply? Any advice? Thank you.

Unknown said...

From your post: It really depends on the program. With PTC and MDC, they informed me a month before the incoming school year. My best friends is taking MAN at UPOU right now and she said it took a while before they informed her of the results. I guess, it depends per college. You can try emailing admissions for updates.

My question: What is the specific time frame for that "it took a while" phrase for the MAN program? Is it a month? weeks? or days?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Could you post your diploma?
Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can you give me some tips on how to shift grad programs? I'm under MDC but would like to take PTC. I'm on my first sem and took devcom206 only. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi! Is the PTC program good to take if you want to teach in preschool? :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...