What's in E's Bookshelf?

Friday, September 25, 2009

What's in E's Bookshelf?

We've taken a peek at S' (Sundrenched) bookshelf and seen her selection in books. As we've said, the Pink Tarha Ladies have different tastes in literature. Now, let's see what E (Eyecandy) has in hers. Off the bat, it certainly doesn't look like it's the bookshelf of someone who dreams of having her own little library at home someday...but don't be misled. E has had a vibrant, intense (yet nowadays), somekind of a long-distance relationship with reading, which she hopes to rekindle.

E's lil' bedside bookshelf

Now it doesn't look a like a lot of books, but according to Eyecandy, she was a keen reader from early childhood. It just so happens that the rest of her Nancy Drew, Goosebumps and R.L. Stine collection are stashed away in some big boxes around heir house. She was an avid library fan from her youth, owning her first library card at the age of four. She remembers knowing the stories "The Enormous Turnip," "Stone Soup" and "The Emperor's New Clothes" by heart. Nowadays, with her apparent "busy" schedule comprised of work, social events and TV series that she just must not miss, her time for reading has been diminished. Though she admits that she hopes to have more time for reading again. If only there weren't too many distractions! (excuses, excuses, she knows!). Regardless of her love of reading taking an apparent backseat, whenever E's in a bookstore, she can't help herself to a purchase or two. Force of habit perhaps? Though she has been saying that she has resolved to not buy anymore new books until she finishes reading the pile on her bedside, we beg to differ. :P This dismal looking set of books above are just some of the books that she had just read or has yet to read.

"When I was around 9 or 10, we didn't have a computer or internet (sheesh, does that sound ancient or what?!) plus, cable wasn't made available yet to the common man here in Riyadh, so reading books (and listening to music) are the things that kept me occupied while I was left at home during after-school summers. My constant companions were creations of Carolyn Keene, Francine Pascal and R.L. Stine. I also loved reading Archie Comics."

Her non-fiction selections:

The Republic and Other Dialogues by Plato, The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf, The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels, House and Philosophy "Everybody Lies" by Henry Jacoby, Why Mars & Venus Collide by John Gray, Are Men Necessary? When Sexes Collide by Maureen Dowd

"I've always been fascinated with sociology and how we think the way we think (individually and as a group of people). These set of books that I have are just some of the topics the pique my interest. The Republic is one my favorite philosophy books and one that really opened my mind during my early years in college. The Beauty Myth explores the idea of beauty in women and how it has influenced how women are perceived in society. The Gnostic Gospels is an academic book extrapolating the development of the Christian faith. The rest of the books are theories/studies about the human condition in terms of individuality and relationships with the opposite sex."

Her fiction selection:

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris, The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, The People's Republic of Desire by Annie Wang, The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho, Numbers in the Dark by Italo Calvino

Consider this as Eyecandy's hodge-podge selection of literary themes. She is a fan of David Sedaris' satirical style, a sucker for tearjerker, romance novelist Nicholas Sparks, dips her finger at some chick-lit by Annie Wang (but says she'd refrain from dipping in again), indulges in soulful wisdom from Paulo Coelho, and finds comfort in wonderfully written short stories of those by Italo Calvino.

"Numbers in the Dark is a gem that I discovered back in college. Every story is quaint and rich at the same time, mostly depicting post-modern ideologies. I believe we dissected all his thirty-seven short stories when I was studying World Literature and I remember being simply smitten by his work. Having a copy of his book is one my life's greatest treasures."


Books by one of E's favorite authors, Jeannete Winterson:
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit and The.Powerbook


"Very powerful and passionate reads. I see myself living in her words. I was introduced to this author by one of college professors, Ms. Layeta Bucoy as it was famously quoted in one of her theater productions."

"..Love wounds. There is no love that does not pierce the hands and feet. Love's exquisite happiness is also love's exquisite pain. I do not seek pain but there is pain. I do not seek suffering but there is suffering. It is better not to flinch, not to try and avoid those things in love's direction. It is not easy, this love, but only the impossible is worth the effort.."--The.Powerbook


"I intentionally covered the covers with markers because of the nudity. It broke my heart to vandalize the books but I had to do it so I could bring them with me here in Riyadh."

Apart from these, E counts Fyodor Dostoevsky as another favorite author with his work Notes from the Underground to be a work close to her heart. Along with Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, Alan Lightman's Einstein Dreams and Chris Martinez' Last Order Sa Penguin.

"My reading wishlist at the moment consists of Maya Angelou's Letter To My Daughter, Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love, any autobiography on Mahatma Gandhi and Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture."

Your thoughts? Book club na toooooh! Haha. No, seriously. Let's start a book club. Any takers?

3 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Count me in! Although I doubt whether you'd like what's in my bookshelf.

Let me see...Book of Philosophy published by Cambridge, Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, Anne Tyler's Ladder of Years and A Patchwork Planet, a few softbound books by I forgot whom.

Of Eyecandy's collection, I'm only familiar with The Little Prince. But I'm surely going to search for Italo Calvino. And yes, I saw The Notebook the other day. Touching!

Pero napansin ko lang ha. The books look new. How do you manage to do that? Kapag nabasa ko ang libro, hay naku, nagmumukha talaga syang 'nagamit' dahil nalulukot ung gitna. Hindi kasi ako nag-e-enjoy kapag 'open-book' ung porma ko; gusto ko parang notebook para isang kamay lang ang nakahawak habang nagbabasa ako nang nakahiga. Hehe. Tamad e.

eyecandy23 said...

Yes, the books look new don't they?

Well, four of them I have yet to finish and I do take care of them. Ang habit ko naman with books kasi is that I write on them...sometimes on the sides to imprint my thoughts on what I read..so and so. Para when I pass the book on to someone else, he/she will have something extra to read. ;)

Anonymous said...

hay. me alam pa akong dahilan kung bakit hindi nya matapos tapos ang pile na yan. the gf-single gal reading ratio. ^^

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...