A Filipina's Food Trip (1 of 2)

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Filipina's Food Trip (1 of 2)

Call me your resident "Foodiva" or we can stick to "WooF (Woman of Food)". Either way, I simply love food and I want to share the love. :) 

After three years of quiet hibernation and re-rooting myself in the country where I grew up, I finally went back to the Philippines to re-discover the motherland and feel what it's like again to roam free and unafraid of the world around me (but then again I already feel that way about Saudi Arabia), but like they say, "Iba pa rin sa sarili mong bansa!" I'll tell you about the places I visited later, for now, let's go on a FOOD TRIP shall we?

Of course, the first thing that comes to mind when coming back to the Philippines is "Yay, Pork!" hahaha! But I guess, growing up here in Riyadh never had me appreciate the glistening and sought-after Lechon skin or say, the hot and steamy Sinigang na Babs on a rainy day. Though through college, I've learned to love Sisig and Pork Siomai as easy student meals. This time for me, I was more excited to try out lots of restaurants - as I feel like I've already eaten at almost every single restaurant here in Riyadh. And my, was I overwhelmed! In the Philippines, I could spend an hour at the mall just thinking about where to freaggin' eat coz there's a gazillion of options! Of course now that I am off the student budget, I have the liberty to pick whatever and wherever I want to eat -- which is excruciating! 

So as to help you not suffer the same ordeal, let me give my two cents worth of the places and dishes that my mouth and I found deserving around the Metro and then some. Be warned: The following photos may cause excess saliva, food (or)gasms and strong desires to fly back to the Philippines right away for a quick bite. 

Here we go...in true dining decorum, let's start with some entrees:


Deepe-fried, crunchy Kangkong and Okoy from Kabisera, Bonifacio High St.
Call me oblivious, but until that day I ate at Kabisera ng Dencio's - I had no idea that you can deep fry kang kong and dip it in some delicious mayo-honey-mustard dip. The Okoy is also great with their special Ilocano vinegar. Visit Kabisera at The Fort for an authentic Filipino dining experience. 


Garlic Fries at Stackers, Resorts World, Paranaque
Even before coming back to the Philippines, I already started reading about this new French Fry craze called 'Garlic Fries' and actually, I was smitten by this one store that's dedicated to garlic fries called, 'Eat My GF', but I couldn't go to their actual store so while at Stackers, which is an Australian burger joint, I decided to try out their version of garlic fries and well, while it's not 'Wow!' it is something new at the very least. :D 


Flaming Cheese at Cyma, Greenbelt 1
This is not only a delicious dish but also an entertaining one. The Flaming Cheese is one of the bestsellers at Cyma, a Greek-slash-Mediterranean restaurant. Why? Because every time somebody orders it, the server who will bring it to you will ignite the sizzling plate with flames and then shout very loudly, "OPAH!!!" (Just like they say it in the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding). If you like being the center of attention, you'd like this one. ;) 



Gỏi Cuốn Rolls from Pho Hoa, Glorietta 5
This was my first time at Pho Hoa even though I've passed by it a million times back in college. One of the unique dishes I had at this Vietnamese place is their summer rolls, which are wrapped in this paper-like rice wrappers. Not like our fresh lumpia version, but something else. The sauces option cap off the perfect combination (depending on your taste buds). More specific details of this dish can be found here



Crispy Tawilis

Hito Flakes

Buttered Scallops
The last three entrees are all from the chic and quite affordable, Mesa at Greenbelt. Their food is mainly Filipino fusion, with a modern twist. Take that Crispy Tawilis and Hito Flakes for example. These are very traditional ingredients and yet they cooked it in a way that is quite upscale and probably aimed for the more probing palate. I particularly LOVED the Hito Flakes with that green mango and bagoong+sili on top! Ack, I want more! Hito is catfish by the way. :) I also say affordable because for the five of us who ate there that night, we were really surprised that it only cost that much (coz it would appear that their food is expensive, but in reality, it isn't). 

On to some heavier entrees, bordering on main courses:


Tonnos Salata from Cyma
Coriander-crusted seared ahi tuna with mixed greens, feta cheese, baked onions, Gavros (homemade anchovies), roasted bell peppers, black olives, marinated potatoes, green beans and boiled eggs, served with Cyma’s Summer Herb Vinaigrette. In short, YUM!


Buffalo Wings from Don Henrico's
These babies are the truest Buffalo wings I have ever met - unlike them other restaurants claimin' they got 'buffalo' wings - Don Henrico's is the real deal! A piece of this is bigger than your palm! It's still as good as I last tasted it. Prepare for some serious finger-licking after this. Good for sharing too, btw. 


Chicken Wings from Yellow Cab

Yellow Cab's chicken wings are juicy and crunchy, with enough hints of spice that will make you want s'more - especially when served hot! It's not as big as a buffalo wing, but it's close. GMOs FTW! LOL.


Pork+Shrimp Siomai at Eat Well!, Taguig

These are as good as they look! Probably the best siomai I've tasted in the Metro that's really worth your buck - heck, there's even caviar on top! Eat Well! is a little resto right across JP Morgan Chase in Taguig and I hear it's a favorite of a lot of employees around the block. I was sold! :D



Baked Tahong at Kabisera, Bonifacio High St.

Oysters Americana from Murray's New Orleans at Bonifacio High St.

If you're not watching your high blood pressure, getting high on mussels and oysters is up for grabs in the Philippines. Being that such produce is very scarce albeit expensive here in the Kingdom, it's always open season back at home. My mom had such a craving that when we were at Murray's New Orleans Bourbon Street Steaks and Oysters (Whaatta long name!), we ordered three plates of different oyster dishes! Theirs are fresh daily and you wouldn't have to worry about angering your tummy - in fact, ours were very happy! 


Chicken Carbonara with Premium Beef Strips from Greenwich

Sweet & Sour Pork Lauriat at Chowking
Let's talk fast food now. A couple of things have changed since I was back - like the prices! Haha, talk about inflation rate Philippines! Other than that, most fast food chains have phased out a lot of old favorites like for me, was Greenwich's Chicken Quesadillas, which I learned that they don't serve anymore (I think the waitress was wondrous for a second and thought, where have I been the last 5 years asking for a phased out item?!).  My brother and I tried their carbonara and it's heavy - good option for the boys. Meanwhile, I also took my mom and grandma to Chowking, which is their favorite, and ordered their famous Lauriats. Same taste as years ago, higher price. :P 


All four sinangags at SEX (Sinangag EXpress)
After one of my heavy partying with friends at the Makati area, they brought me to a famous tapsilog place fondly referred to as 'SEX' (stands for Sinangag EXpress) to nourish ourselves post-party (you know how it is. ;p). AND NO, I DID NOT EAT ALL THOSE FOUR BY MYSELF Thank You Very Much! Hahaha. It was a cool place, a lot of call center employees apparently eat there and they have free  water and unlimited rice so, solved! Haha. I'm laughing a lot coz I remembered what went down that night....hahahaha! Anyway........


Seafood Mix from Mango Tree Bistro, Trinoma
My family celebrated my brother's birthday at this hip Thai restaurant in Trinoma called Mango Tree Bistro and we thoroughly enjoyed all of the things we ordered - except for this new pork curry dish that was too tough for us to chew (which they gladly replaced btw). All of the seafood dishes that we ordered was a hit, particularly this one above. I will definitely go back there again. :)


Kare-Kare from Max's
I ate at the Max's at Intramuros, which has bit of an ancient feel to it. I'm not sure if it's where the first Max's restaurant was, but it sure felt like it One of my favorites there is their Kare-Kare. Given that Max's is such an institution already, I'm sure most of you have already tried it. If you haven't, then try it! :) 


Sushi selections from Saisaki/Dad's/Kamayan, Megamall
I was with Sampaguita Pride on her birthday and she treated me and few other friends at the Dad's Buffet in Megamall wherein they have a package that let's you crossover to their other sister-restaurants like Kamayan and Saisaki. Of course, I first headed to the sushi bar and indulged my sushi desires. For like 700+ pesos, their buffets are really worth it. But with these things, the key is to pace yourself so that you can enjoy everything. :))


Peri Peri Chicken, Megamall
If you're opting for a change of chicken scenery, there's Peri Peri Chicken, a Portugese-themed restaurant and it's how they cook their chicken that actually makes it special: It's roasted for 30 minutes then exposed to spit fire before actually serving it to the customers. The term "peri-peri" refers to the spice that's used to create the dish (they also have it in condiment form). If you're not a fan of spicy chicken, fret not for they have other options for you to enjoy.


Hot Pot anyone? 
Yummy, yummy, yummy. 
Right along Roxas Blvd, there's a number of Hot Pot restos and my family and I tried one of them after watching the theater. Sorry here folks, but I totally forgot the name of the place. But, it is your usual shabu-shabu-type of resto with refreshing hot vegetable soup with selected seafood to boot cooked right in front of you. It's a different way to spend dinner with the family. :)

Yellow Cab's Charlie Chan Chicken Pasta

Hands down, this is my all-time favorite dish from Yellow Cab. It has the hot and spicy ninja kick, the crunch of 'em hot nuts, tender chicken bits and the somewhat sweet+salty combo sauce of the pasta - very oriental of a taste for a New York franchise, but it's amazing and I love it. I think I ordered it like five times throughout my whole vacation. :P


Lechon Kawali from Andoks

Pork Sisig from Kabisera

Of course, food trip in the Philippines isn't complete without pork overload!? I sure indulged til I surrendered (which was about two weeks into my return). While stuck in traffic one night, I was sitting inside the bus, imagining a hot, freshly chopped lechon kawali from Andoks on a plate, pouring gravy all over the it like a blanket then chopped chilis sprinkled over it while the wisps of steam from the newly cooked rice floats through the atmosphere. AHHHHH! I got home and did exactly that -- and that my friends is a dream come true. ;)


--


Let's take a quick break from here and digest what we've tripped on so far. I need to get back to work now, but when I come back, I'll bombard you with even more photos of the desserts and drinks that I had while in the Philippines.



Til our next Food Trip! 
Eyecandy

5 had something to say:

Pinaywriter said...

Thank God I just ate when I saw this blog. T_T *meat sweats*

MYB said...

sarap naman ng food nakakaguton sa umaga, mukhang ganyan din ang gagawin namin pag-uwi ng Pinas, plan nga namin ng husband ko na mag food wok sa binondo. i think Hito is mudfish and milfish is our national fish - bangus.

eyecandy23 said...

Hi MYB: Thanks for the correction...I'll edit it. :D Ooooh, food trippin' at Binondo...I'll try that on my next vacay. :)

PW: You were there with me at Kabisera remember!?

eyecandy23 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eyecandy23 said...

MYB: I googled it, "Hito" appears to be "Catfish". :D Mudfish is "Dalag" according to the senior citizens in my house. Hahahaha. :P

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...