How To Keep Your Skin Moisturized in the Desert

Saturday, January 28, 2012

How To Keep Your Skin Moisturized in the Desert

I really love beauty products especially natural and organic ones. I also like to try new things on my own. I make my own facial masks and color my own hair. *yes, it's actually easier than I thought.*

I was already a lotion junky in Manila. Even though it's really humid I would still wear lotion. Why? Because I've seen the long term benefits of moisturizing your skin. My grandmother had the smoothest skin and even at 50, her skin was still supple. She didn't have a lot of wrinkles and if she did, it was only visible when she smiled.

The skin is the largest and most exposed organ in our body and we should remember to take care of it. Beautiful skin really glows and makes one look youthful. And I would gladly endure the lagkit factor (though I don't really feel it) if it will ensure that my skin will age gracefully.

When I moved back to Riyadh a few years ago, I had to slowly change my beauty regimen to fit the climate. You see, in Riyadh, regardless whether it's summer and winter, it's always dry... really dry... so I really had to double my efforts to take care of my skin. Here are my tried and tested natural remedies to dryness.

For the body:

To lock in moisture, I use olive oil! Yep, olive oil. Right after I shower, before I towel dry, I lather on some olive oil. When I'm done, I use the excess olive oil on my face and massage it for a minute. Then I towel dry and put on some lotion on my body. I find that lotion glides on smoother when I do this and it keeps me from re-applying.

Virgin Olive Oil at our local bakala

Don't forget to wear lotion with SPF 15 to protect your skin from sun damage! This is actually the key to taking care of your skin. I usually apply a mix of sunblock and lotion on my arms, the back of my neck, my feet and wherever else my skin is exposed to the sun. This is the best way to maintain your fair skin and avoid further sun damage like darkening, sun spots and sun burn. Wa-epek lahat ng whitening creams if you don't use sunscreen. Do remember that even though it's winter, you still need the SPF. The sun is still there... no matter how cold it gets.

For the face:

After I wash my face, I apply a mix of Aloe Vera gel, SPF 15 lotion and my liquid foundation. This combo helps prevent makeup from looking "caked on". During the evenings, I use Vitamin C serum or Aloe Vera Gel before hitting the sack. On weekends, I prepare a yogurt facial mask for deep moisturizing. ^_^ (I use full cream natural yogurt, it's only 1sr per cup at any bakala or grocery store.)

For the hair:

Oh let's not forget our hair! Conditioning is really important if you regularly blow dry, curl, iron or color treat your hair. And because I color my hair, it's really important for me to keep it moisturized to prevent split ends. I use shampoos and conditioner specifically for color treated hair. Apply conditioner from the middle down to the tips to avoid product build up on your scalp.

Almarai natural yoghurt for 1sr.

On the weekends, I use a mixture of yogurt and olive oil on my hair and leave it on for at least an hour. Then I wash it off. The yogurt hair mask has the consistency of coconut milk minus the smell. Plus natural yogurts are cheaper here as compared to buying gata at the Pinoy market.

So what are you waiting for? Bring on the TLC!

xoxo,
Sampaguita Pride

7 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the excellent tips! I think using olive oil to lock in moisture is very effective. Just curious, where can one find an aloe vera gel for the face?

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous: Here in Riyadh, the only Aloe Vera gel I could find is Forever Living's Aloe Vera Gelly (85%). It is sold by dealers at 51SR per tube and lasts about a month.

In the Philippines, the best one I could find is Banana Boat's After Sun Aloe Gel. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info! I'm fairly new to Riyadh so I've never heard of/ visited that shop. I live quite close to Granada Mall; can I find a Forever Living branch there to your knowledge? If not, please let me know where it is situated. Salamat po :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
I am looking to buy fairy lights, you know a long string of lights that I can use outside, any ideas where i can get them in Riyadh?? tks

The Pink Tarha said...

You can find it in Tchibo, a new German store in Granada Centre. The store is located on the second floor, across the Sun and Sand Sports Store. The fairy lights are on a shelf near the cashier and priced aroubd 50-70 riyals.

Anonymous said...

where can i find the aloevera gel plz suggest

Anonymous said...

Hi ladies

Finally my battle for skin dryness has come to an end, thank you very much for sharing the olive oil as base lotion it really does makes wonders!! keep it up ladies and continue sharing all your informative ideas. :-)

PS - can you also feature lasting make up foundation for this kind of climate or review for BB cream perhaps i.e store locator etc. thanks so much!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...