Isko(lar) in the Desert: The Graduation

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Isko(lar) in the Desert: The Graduation

Note: This is a long, long, long overdue post about my UPOU graduation from last May 2012. I hope you'll forgive me. But I promise to post more blogs whenever I can. ^_^

**********************************

The day finally came. After 2 1/2 years of study, I was finally going to graduate from UPOU. It feels like a dream because I never thought that I could study again while I was abroad (to read about my experience as a UPOU student, click here), so you can imagine my relief when I finally received my graduation pack. :)

Since I was based abroad, I had to process my clearance the day before graduation. So before my flight back to Manila, I made sure that I got all the info I needed to clear my accounts with UPOU like the graduation fee, shipping fees and alumni fees. With that settled, I then moved on to more important details such as my graduation dress. LOL.

UPOU has a strict dress code for MA graduates. Aside from the Sablay, we were also required to dress accordingly. Men were required to wear white/ecru barong for men and black pants and the women, white or ecru dress, mid-calf length with sleeves and black shoes. I was trying to imagine it but all I could picture was a ninang dress. Hahaha... so I made sure that the outfit I chose would be comfy and "me". I got my blouse from Dorothy Perkins and my skirt from Freeze at Riyadh Gallery. The idea was similar to this: 

May 4: Graduation Practice and Clearance Day
The graduation practice was scheduled the day before graduation. In true blue "Distance-Ed Style", this would be the first time for me to visit my Alma Mater. For the first time, I met my professors and classmates who I've befriended, defended and consulted for the last 2 years. When I met them in person, it felt like we were just picking up conversations we left off at our FB group and I was really happy about it. It's really amazing how we build bonds over the internet. 

My online barkada, my groupmates and friends.
After submitting our clearance and paying for our graduation fees, we were invited to an alumni meeting for our program and in the afternoon, we attended a program in tribute to the graduates. There were a lot of performances from UPLB students and UPOU Chorale. 

The very wacky and happy DevComm Alumni at UPOU
The very talented UPOU Chorale
May 5: Graduation Day!
My parents and I decided to head out early because Los Baños was about 3 hours away from where we lived. The graduation was held during the afternoon at the UPOU grounds at UP Los Baños. My parents patiently waited for the program to start. The grounds were prepared ahead but it was a shame that there weren't enough seats for the guests.

The graduation venue.
Before the program, the graduates were given free lunch and a place to rest and mingle with other graduates. By this time, I was already giddy with excitement but I also regret wearing my 4 inch stilettos. :))

Here's a photo of my fellow graduates, the DevComm program garnered most of the Chancellor's List Awards that year.
The "class picture" and solo photos were done before the graduation ceremony. I ordered group shots and diploma shot package and I received them a week later. 
MA Development Communication, Batch 2012


My perennial group mates and online buddies: Jher Trinoña (L), Francis Noces and Mayeth Rebutoc 
(both from Riyadh, as well!)
Finally, we're marching! :P
Miguel Zubiri, who is also a UPOU Alumni, was our guest speaker.
Receiving my diploma from UP President Alfredo Pascual. Success!!
The graduation ended around 8pm and there fireworks to commemorate the event. I guess that's the reason we had the photo-op before the graduation because it would be too dark to do anything else. Plus everyone was really hungry already. Haha... 

To my loved ones and inspiration, this is for you. To our readers, thank you so much for all your help and moral support, especially those who answered the questionnaires for my research. You are all a huge part of this success. To my fellow Pink Tarha ladies, thank you so much for all the support and encouragement. 

I hope that this will encourage other OFWs to inquire and enroll at UPOU. It is never too late to be an Isko or to pursue further studies.

Love,
Sampaguita Pride
P.S. I would like to thank my classmates for 
sharing most of the photos I used for this blog 
post. Much Love. 

5 had something to say:

Unknown said...

Hello po! Interested po talaga ako mag-enroll din sana... Sa IPSR ako nagcollege last 2008 kaya lang hindi ko natapos, gusto ko sana ituloy. Pinuntahan ko yung website nila pero hindi ko po mahanap yung para sa distance ed... Sana po ma-guide nio ako. Thanks! :)

The Pink Tarha said...

Hi Sarah! The UPOU is the distance education program itself. The degrees listed in http://www2.upou.edu.ph/academic-programs are all online courses. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! if you don't mind me asking po, was there ever a time throughout the 2 1/2 years where you had to personally go home for say a requirement? or everything is online po talaga? that's my biggest worry po kasi. :(

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous, I processed my application requirements (like the recommendation letters from professors and my TOR) during my summer vacation when I was in Manila.

But during the course of the program, we were not required to be in Manila for any requirement.

But I heard from one student that the MAN (Masters of Nursing) Program has a practicum subject and you need to complete practicum hours at PGH. But I don't have enough info about that since I come from a different college and program. Anyway, it is usually stated in the website whether it is a full DE (Distance Ed) course or not. :)

The Pink Tarha said...

Answers to more questions about UPOU can be found here: http://www.thepinktarha.com/2013/02/q-portion-13-upou-questions.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...