For The Love of Lobsters

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

For The Love of Lobsters

Have you noticed? Most of the new restaurants are now sprouting further and further the city center. It works both ways for us consumers: the farther it is, the less crowded and noisy it will be. However, the more difficult it will be to visit. I don't think there will be a problem this Eid season though because with this short vacation, you can nag your husbands to bring you to the restaurants in the "exits".

The new faces of casual dining

Let's visit Exit 8 then shall we? Two powerhouse restaurants recently opened there: The Red Lobster and Longhorn Steakhouse. Because the family and I are kind of weary of steaks already, we decided to try Red Lobster first. We went during its opening week; a mistake considering the live lobsters are not yet available but also an advantage because I can give you the first dibs on the place.

The Red Lobster Facade, family entrance
Singles section

Red Lobster is a successful seafood restaurant chain that started in Florida in 1968. Today, there are more than 600 Red Lobsters in the US and Canada (imagine!). They're passionate in serving great, highest quality seafood considering its roots in Florida. They sea food differently! (Nice pun eh?)

Wood and couches for guests

The restaurant in Exit 8 gets packed quite easily because it's new so prepare for the night crowd. Its design is inspired by Bar Harbor in Maine. The ambiance is casual dining with a somewhat seaside atmosphere which is quite hard to imagine when you're in Saudi Arabia but it works in the interiors.

We started with some awesome freebies:

Savory biscuits

I love their cheddar biscuits! They're warm; also soft and flaky at the same time. The cheesy, herby scent permeates through and tickles the sense of smell. I wished I didn't touch the salad to just eat the biscuits but the folks are glaring at me to eat my veggies. Hehe.

Light and healthy

Their bowls and bowls of salads came with different dressings. I didn't get the names and kinds but they're all tart with hints of sweetness here and there. Even if I don't like veggies much, I can attest that I ate forkfuls of this because the greens are fresh and crisp. I love the combination of the crunchy and creamy ingredients in this pristine bowl.

Lobster Bisque, SR18 (cup) / SR25 (bowl)
Clam Chowder, SR14 (cup) / SR17 (bowl)

The Lobster Bisque Soup is better than the New England Clam Chowder Soup because it's creamier and tastier. Both are warm and savory. Share it to your loved one because it's quite heavy in the stomach. You won't enjoy the rest of the mains if you're full from the soup already.

Seaside Sampler, SR44

The Seaside Sampler is one of my favorites in their menu. The platter consists of lobster-crab-and-seafood-stuff mushrooms (quite a mouthful of a name but this is delicious! Get this separately!), parrot isle jumbo coconut shrimp (crispy and tasty too), and chilled jumbo shrimp cocktail (a popular hors d'oeuvre; theirs is light and succulent).

The parents shared a platter of shrimp dishes:

Seafood Shrimp Trio, SR75
This consists of Walt's Favorite Shrimps, Garlic Shrimp Scampi, and Shrimp Linguini Alfredo. The pasta was a bit bland but the garlic shrimps were flavorful. Walt's favorite is just breaded and fried.

Maine Lobster Tail, SR68

Because the live lobsters weren't available during our visit, the friendly manager suggested we have the Maine Lobster Tail first just to get a grasp of their specialty. Their serving of the 4.5 oz lobster tail in thermidor sauce came with semi-soggy fries (which is fine for me but not for my companions) and a baked potato. The tail looked like a leaf that unfolded. The flesh is delicate and light.

Lobster Tail + Crab Legs + Shrimps

Truth be told, I'm not into lobsters that much. I find the meat tasteless unless you dip it in butter or season it with a sauce. I think they're kind of over-rated. Or I don't know, maybe my tastebuds aren't as sophisticated. Hehehe. So it's not a big deal for me that the live lobsters weren't there yet. However, if there's one seafood I'm known to devour like crazy, it's the good 'ol crab. (Yes, kiber sa masakit na batok! Hehe! Jk.)

Snow Crab Legs , SR75 per pound

They don't have crabs here, the kind we have in the Philippines, but they have the legs of one of the most popular crabs in the world: snow crabs. These crabs, also called queen crabs or spider crabs, are known for their meaty legs. Red Lobster's serve them simply steamed and served with melted butter.

Yummy!

Delicious!!! I love these! I had to let my brother crack the legs for me though. Hahaha!

A complete meal, SR70

My loaded plate

Another dish I love is my order: the Peach BBQ Shrimp and Scallops. The scallops are firm and sweet in itself but with the beef bacon wrapped around it and BBQ sauce smeared all over... I think I went to shellfish heaven. The shrimps were grilled lightly and they retained their succulence. Each piece is worth savoring to the last bite.

NY Strip and Rock Lobster Tail, SR 130

My brother made the mistake of ordering the NY Strip. Seriously dude, who orders steak in a seafood restaurant?! That defeats the purpose of it! Pffft. The ending? He got his wood-grilled 12 oz center cut NY strip alright but it was so tough he spent minutes just hacking slicing through the resistant meat. Even chewing was a chore. So don't order steak in a seafood resto, folks! Go to Longhorn if you're in the mood for steak.

Oh, before I forget... cheers with the thirst quenchers!




That ends my feature on Red Lobster. It put a huge dent in my brother's wallet (it was his treat and I was the one who chose the restaurant, hehehe!) so we won't be back any time soon. But you people should go ahead and try it. Go there for special occasions; when a lobster is all it takes to amp the value of an unforgettable dinner for you, your family, and friends.

If you get the opportunity to try their live lobsters (after it's cooked of course), tell me if they're "juicy and tender, and sweet as scorched honey from ocean depths." ;) ~ Sundrenched

Red Lobster
Exit 8, North Ring Road,
Khaled Bin Al Waleed Road int. Dammam Road
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
M: +966-54-155-9283
See map here.

6 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

With your post,can't help but try Red Lobster. Had to travel all the way from south of Riyadh to reach the place. So, had the chance to visit Red Lobster a week ago,and we're lucky as the fresh lobsters are available. The meat is succulent but enjoyed the snow crab legs more, though, it was a bit dry.
Thanks for your posts,i.e,,selecting restaurants on special occasions is a way lot easier.

More power Ladies of Pink Tarha !!!!

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous 5:04PM: Thank you. We're glad you enjoy our reviews. :)

FST said...

I love red lobster esp the crabs and shrimps and the biscuits are oh so yummy!

Anonymous said...

I am planning to celebrate my birthday here with my friends next month and I would like to ask about the bill..roughly how much would it cost? thanks! =)

Anonymous said...

I am planning to celebrate my birthday here next month with my friends..can you give me a rough estimate on the cost per person? Thanks! =)

The Pink Tarha said...

@Anonymous 10:50PM: You'll be spending around SR 500-800 for a group of 5-10 persons, depending on what you order. If you go for the lobsters and crabs, the bill will skyrocket further. :P

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...