How To Wear The Pink Tarha, Literally (And World Hijab Day!)

Thursday, January 30, 2014

How To Wear The Pink Tarha, Literally (And World Hijab Day!)

Hello, Riyadhizens! It's me, Sampaguita Pride! Remember me? Hehe. It's been quite a while since I last posted anything for the blog and I just want to say that I'm really happy to be writing again. I missed you all! Oh, I'm still here in the Philippines, but I just had to share this with you. As a Pink Tarha, how can I not write about this? :)

February 1 is World Hijab Day! It is a special day where Muslim ladies and non-Muslim ladies alike, wear a hijab to promote awareness and understanding of why Muslim women wear their hijab. It also aims to enlighten people that the hijab is not a form of oppression for Muslim women. According to BBC News, the movement was initiated by Nazma Khan from the US and is observed in more than 50 countries across the globe. You can read more about World Hijab Day and stories of Hijabis on their website: worldhijabday.com




Let me just clarify that this is not an Islamic holiday, but rather a worldwide effort to shed positive light about the Hijab and to promote peace and understanding. But whatever our beliefs may be, let's take a moment to appreciate the bright and courageous women under the veil. Let us not forget that underneath the Hijab is a woman, a human being, who deserves respect and courtesy regardless of her religion and beliefs. Just like everyone else. Don't let appearances alienate us from one another. Let us support diversity. As the saying goes, Don't be an Angry Bird. :))

For those who live in Saudi Arabia, we all know that it's customary to wear the Abaya and Tarha in public even if you're not a Muslim. It's part of the package of living and working in Saudi Arabia. Back then, I didn't know how to wear the Tarha. I just draped it around my head when I was told to cover my hair. I felt that it was just something that I had to do to comply. But deep down, I knew it had its benefits. Plus, I always thought that the tarhas worn by some Syrian and Jordanian ladies were really pretty. 

Ironically, I learned to wear the hijab when I stayed here in Manila and embraced Islam. Now I wear my hijab or Tarha on a regular basis. When I first wore the hijab here in the Philippines, I immediately noticed that men would promptly lower their gaze or look away. Random people would greet me, "Asalamu' Alaykum", even non-Muslims. When I ask for directions, people would take the time to answer me and remind me to be careful and be safe. Isn't that wonderful?

The Hijab is not just a piece of cloth. It is the wholesome way that a woman presents herself to others, in her thoughts, attitude, action and speech. Wearing the hijab became a personal reminder for me to moderate how I behave in public. I try to speak softly and be more patient with people around me.

So in support of World Hijab Day, I want to share a simple tutorial on how to wrap your Hijab or Tarha. It's really simple and pretty.

Me wearing a pink hijab!

There are a lot of ways to wear the hijab but this is my favorite. I normally wear an inner hijab bonnet or "ninja" inner but this is optional. In fact, you can even wear it without pins and brooches. I use pins because I like my hijabs securely fastened to my inner bonnets. This way, I don't have to keep adjusting my Hijab in the middle of the day. But I have heard of mommies veering away from hijab pins, for safety reasons. :)

Here's what I use for this hijab style:

What you need.
This style is easy and can be done in just 3 steps but I made a detailed tutorial for those who are completely new to this. (I still can't believe I'm making a tutorial, hahaha!) Here goes my first ever tutorial:


Step 1: Tie your hair into a bun and wear an inner hijab or a bonnet.
Step 2: Fold your rectangle scarf or pashmina so that it's 2/3 of its actual width.
Step 3: Put it on your head, folded side facing out. Make sure that one end is shorter than the other. For me, the shorter end is usually on the left. But you can choose whichever side you prefer. :)
Step 4: Pin the hijab in place using a safety pin or a no-snag pin.
Step 5: Pull the shorter end of the hijab up and over your head.
Step 6: Secure the shorter end on top with a small pin. Be careful not to hurt yourself.
Step 7: Now pull the longer end of your hijab across your chest.
Step 8: Pull the longer end up and over your head closer to your inner hijab. 
Step 9: Pin in place.
Step 10: Arrange the folds accordingly.
Step 11: Use a brooch or a regular pin to secure the hijab close.
Step 12: And you're done! Smile, it's charity! :)

Easy right? You can also check YouTube for tutorial on other variations and styles. Maybe you'll want to wear a pink hijab too just to show your support for World Hijab Day. If you do, don't forget to post it and tag us, okay? :)

I hope you liked this tutorial and thank you for reading our blog! :)

Much Love,
Sampaguita Pride

4 had something to say:

Ems said...

beautiful!

susan fom korea said...

Very cute and beautiful ~!!

Anonymous said...

Ganda niyo po~ ^_^ btw po, saan po nakakabili ng inner hijab dito sa riyadh? thanks....

Sampaguita Pride said...

@Ems and @Susan from Korea, thank you so much for reading the blog! :)

@Anonymous you can find them at Dirah. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...