A Hula Hooping Tarha

Monday, July 25, 2011

A Hula Hooping Tarha

Hula Hooping. Yep. Remember grade school? No, I didn't hula hoop back then. I was very athletically-challenged when I was young and I could never keep a hula hoop revolving for more than one turn. So you can imagine my hesitation to try hula-hooping as an adult even though I've read a lot of good things about it.

Hula hooping is used for dance, play and self-expression. Some even say that it has meditative effects on them and can be a good outlet for stress relief. In the US, there are clubs formed just for Hula hoop enthusiasts. Heck, according to fitnotic.com, you can even hula hoop while you're pregnant! Even celebs are hooping!

Beyonce and Marisa Tomei hoop! Photo taken from Google.
It was my mom's idea to try hula-hooping for exercise. After a lot of research, my mom decided to buy an adult size weighted hula-hoop from Hoopnotica. These hoops are waaaay bigger and a bit heavier than the kiddie hoops. I'm not sure if these are available in the Riyadh yet, but you can purchase them online or make your own. Check this link for DIY instructions.

My mom would hoop everyday and my little sister would even join the fun with her kiddie hula-hoop. I was left out of loop because I was hesitant to try it --- up until I saw the results. Within a month, my mom lost enough weight that she started buying clothes one size smaller. Now that my mom has graduated into the heavier hula hoop, she lets me use her old weighted hoop. I figured, if they could do it, so can I! Na-challenge much...

I'm saving up for these. ^_^ Photo taken from Hoopnotica.com

Well, it took me a few tries before I got the hang of it. But I can now hula-hoop for 30 minutes straight without stopping! With hula-hooping you flex your core muscles, sway your legs and bend your knees to keep the hoop up. In a few minutes, I'm already sweating a bit and my hips are less stiff.


Hula hooping on my lunch break!
My mom said that it works better if you hula hoop for 1 hour but in 20 minutes intervals. I am slowly building a habit around it, waking up earlier in the morning and I've recently tried hooping during my lunch break. (I brought the detachable travel hoop). Hahaha... that was fun. For a more visual take on hula hooping, check this video.

To a slimmer waist! Ajah!

Sampaguita Pride

1 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

I am new to Riyadh and have been looking for one of these. I found one but it had very hard plastic nodules on it. I used one that I left in Thailand and knowing that it was smooth and how it left bruises on me, I don't dare try the one I found here. If anyone has seen a weighted hoop here, I'd love to know where. I'm 5'7" and am looking for a larger hoop. I hope you have had happy success with your summer endeavor!

Cheers!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...