Circles and Circles: A Toast to Bagels!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Circles and Circles: A Toast to Bagels!

I'VE ALWAYS DREAMED of going to New York City. Stand in the middle of Times Square. Watch a Broadway musical. And take a stroll down by Madison Square Park in the morning, with a cup of joe and bagel in hand. Yes, that famous bagel that American movies and TV shows always depict to be the must-have for breakfast or lunch. I've always been intrigued by it until I had one in my travels to Asia, but never have I seen it here in Riyadh. Until I stepped inside Circles and Circles


It's a quaint yet homey shop located along Exit 9, near the Centrepoint that's across Granada Mall. It's not a fancy shmancy place but what it offers is truly a taste of American flair. Inside, you'll see murals of famous New York City landmarks, like a view of the Empire State building and the Statue of Liberty. You will also be welcomed by one of our kabayans, who mans the shop - along with it's owner who is there every night to attend to customers. It just opened a few months ago and it's been picking up steam. 

A feel of NYC
They have an extensive bagel menu, from breakfast bagels to classic bagels and veggie bagels. But wait! To most Riyadhizens who have never heard of a bagel...What is a bagel, exactly? Well, what makes a bagel different from other types of breads is that as it's prepared in dough form, it is first doused in boiling water for a good 3 to 5 minutes each side before baking it in the oven. This makes for a chewy inside and a crusty outside. They can also come in different doughs, like whole wheat or rye and the toppings can also be varied. 

A special, freshly baked bagel.
So let's begin the bagel journey, shall we? Here's what we had:

The NYC Bagel
Scrumptious!
The NYC Bagel I had was a plain bagel with smoked turkey, American cream cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and arugula. It turned out to be my favorite after having tasted the other bagels later on. I found the bread soft and really delicious while the turkey was light and guilt-free (I'm watching my diet lately). I wouldn't mind finishing off a whole bagel of this one. I thought this would make for a great breakfast serving. Definitely, a two-thumbs up from me!

Salami Bagel
Meaty!
I also tried the Salami Bagel on a special bagel that had garlic, sesame seeds and poppy seeds as toppings. Inside there was a slice of smoked cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, arugula, tomatoes and of course, the salami, which I learned was imported from Germany. This is one fierce bagel choice. It's packed with flavors from the garlic whiff on the bread, paired with the smoked cheese and savory salami - wow! I would say this is for someone with a big appetite. It's quite on the heavy end so if you're hungrier than usual, this will certainly fill you up.  

Bagel and Lox (and a pickle)
This is just begging for you to bite into it.
Next up we have here the Bagel and Lox (Lox is another term for smoked salmon). For this option, it was a cinnamon-raisin bagel, with Norwegian smoked salmon, cream cheese, onions, lettuce and mustard. Now y'all know I love me some salmon. And I can imagine myself living off of it for the rest of my life so what's not to like, right? Well, while I get the flavor logic of the cinnamon-raisin juxtaposed with the smoked salmon, I actually found the bread a little tougher than the rest of the other bagels I tried. I asked them why it was the case, and they said that since it's not the classic recipe of what a bagel is, the additions to make it a cinnamon-raisin bagel affect the chewiness of the dough. I also had to take the onions off because they came across as too strong for my palate. So if you're not a fan of onions too, then you can just ask them not to put it in. Nevertheless, I chowed down every bit of it. I for one would never waste good salmon. :)

All three side by side. 
All of their bagels are made fresh daily and prior to order (for big orders). You can also customize your bagel order, whether you just want a plain bagel or a mix and match of the different items on the menu. They will heed to your wishes and whims.

Pumpkin Latte
Peppermint Latte
As if we weren't full enough already, their coffee menu boasted of some really unique items like the Pumpkin Latte and Peppermint Latte, which we tried as well. We also ordered a Chocolate-Caramel muffin to complete the dessert round. 

I really enjoyed the peppermint latte for the aftertaste that was quite refreshing. The pumpkin latte was rich and savory...it's something I'd like to have on a bad day. I think it's the kind of coffee that's really comforting. Both lattes are accompanied by a little gingerbread, which goes perfectly with the drink. 


As for the muffin, well, it's huge and sweet. Can't say we were able to finish all of it because we were already so stuffed. But, for those with a sweet tooth, this one's for you. 

Overall, I thought everything I tried on the Circles and Circles menu had high quality ingredients, made fresh and were delicious and filling. They offer something new and unique for all us foodies to try out. The goodness of that NYC bagel is still on my mind as I write this and got me craving. It's interesting that bagels aren't that popular in Riyadh yet...this ought to start! Visit this hearty bagel shop that's "so nice, they named it twice!" and get a taste of what I just had. Here's a preview of their menu and a road map for you to locate it:

Click for a larger view

Roadmap
Until our next food trip!

xoxo
Eyecandy


Circles and Circles
Exit 9, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
T: +966-53-005-4113
Instagram: @circlesncircles

1 had something to say:

Noor said...

Thank you so much for featuring our shop on your blog and I am sure glad that you enjoyed everything that you tried. We hope you stop by again..

Noor

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...