A Cup of Dainty Indulgence

Friday, May 27, 2011

A Cup of Dainty Indulgence

When a wish come true, it comes true a hundred fold. Or in the case of our cupcake dream, twice. (We're sure there will be a lot more in the future.)

After the Golden Brown comes another cupcake store in town... A Cup of Cake.

I turn restless when I discover something, especially when it comes to food, so when I saw that A Cup of Cake has now opened in Al-Reka'a Plaza, I urged Eyecandy to go with me. I told her that we need to sample their cupcake asap... as if our lives depended on it. Lol. The thing is, where in the world is Al Reka'a Plaza?! If you've read our blog for over a year, you'll know that we do not visit the malls or shopping plazas that are not that familiar to expats, or those which carry brands that we haven't heard of (we should, right?!). It's the first time we've heard of the place. Turning to Google (as always), I found out it's in front of the main gate of the King Saudi University. So easy to spot right? I mean King Saud University is like the biggest university in Riyadh (until Princess Noura University opened). I told our driver to take the Takhassui Road and turn left in King Abdullah Road. From there, I was hoping the shopping plaza will be easy to see... Wrong!

I forgot that the whole length of King Abdullah Road is undergoing renovation so the road is closed. We did not see the "stop" sign immediately so we trudged further until the dead end. We were frustrated that we needed to turn around on this narrow road, so are the other vehicles in front and behind us that didn't see the sign. Lol, mga pasaway! Our very competent driver decided to use the ring road to circumvent further traffic and delays. Turns out I missed something very important about Al Reka'a Plaza. It has a Tamimi Market that is more famous than the name Al-Reka'a. If only I said Tamimi near KSU, it would have been easier for our driver to go there via a road he knows too well. Sigh... no worries though, we decided to put this in our folder of "the misadventures of the Pink Tarha!," which is overflowing with files by now.

So... about A Cup of Cake... was it worth the misadventure? Yes. In our lingo, "pwede!"

We spotted the cupcake sign beside The Body Shop near the entrance of Tamimi and we giddily got out of the car and entered a small world of cupcakes. This, my friends, is what a cupcake haven looks like:


So dainty... love the wall decor and the wallpaper!

Perfect for The Pink Tarha! :P

I'm drooling for these cupcakes drooling with drizzles!

A Cup of Cake focused on, what else, cupcakes! Trays of cupcakes in yummy, delightful flavors are displayed and I couldn't help but wonder if I can bring them all home. Can I? Pretty, pretty, please? I was suspended in some kind of a dream when reality bit me when I asked for the price. SR6 for a cupcake. Okay, I cannot take you all home! :P I chose six flavors. Naturally, I go for the banana (Floresta Banana), carrot (Bunny Love), and Red Velvet flavors. They're my go-to cupcake flavors. Also, I wanted to compare them with Golden Brown's. To complete the box of six, I bought the Rainbow, Cookies n' Cream, and Apple Pie. I also got a Smores to eat in the car (kasi atat akong tikman ang cupcake nila!).

A box of six cups of yummy indulgence!

Cute toppings!

The anatomy of a rainbow cupcake


I will not review each cupcake but in summary: I like the cake, not the icing. The first three flavors I picked have a moist and yummy cake base. The cake of the Smores is a little bit dry but I still like it. It's not nakakasuya (cloying). I also love how they decorated each cupcake's flavor. It's not the usual cake plus swirled icing on top look. The Floresta Banana has a dollop of German frosting and caramel with a drizzle of chocolate while the smores has a marshmallow on top! They also have unique flavors like Pistachio, Peanut Butter and Jelly, and Coconut Craze. The icing used is okay. I wish they didn't mix too much sugar on the cream cheese though. I can only taste the tartness of the cream cheese halfway. A Cup of Cake also offers cookies but that's just about it. The limelight is on the cupcakes all the way! It puts the "specialty" in specialty shop in the right perspective. I've heard that A Cup of Cake is quite the popular cupcake store in Al-Khobar, having opened its first branch there in 2008. It's a good thing they opened a branch here in Riyadh. They now have 8 branches in Saudi Arabia. Amazing, right?

A Cup of Cake offers personalized cupcakes for your wedding or parties needs. They can also make custom designs for corporate events. I'm probably going back for seconds... especially now that I know where it is located. Lol.

For a different kind of indulgence, try A Cup of Cake!

A Cup of Cake
Al Reka'a Plaza Mall, King Abdullah St., Riyadh
+966 1 2814545
admin@acup-of-cake.com
info@acup-of-cake.com
orders@acup-of-cake.com

§undrenched

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...