D.I.Y. Brunette

Thursday, May 26, 2011

D.I.Y. Brunette

I use to love my jet black hair but that was until I realized that black doesn't suit my natural skin tone. And when I'm stressed, my black hair looks very greasy. So I decided to dye it. Nothing fancy, no highlights, just regular chocolate brown for me. And it made all the difference. I'm a brunette from a bottle and loving it!

2011 (L) and 2007 (R) Ako na ang payat nung college. lol.

Let's admit it, salon services can be pricey. Unfortunately, our fave stylist- Tita Vicky, went back to the Philippines for good. So now, we don't have anyone to do our hair (who doesn't charge an arm and a leg). That's when I decided to dye my own hair. Lakas ng loob... haha.

Truth be told, I was scared to try it on my own. So when we went to Euromarche, I bought the same brand that our stylist used: Garnier Color Naturals by Nutrisse (#5.3 Light Golden Brown). My mom applied it to my hair and it came out as chocolate brown. After that I was hooked! All in all, I spent only 30 SR for a box and a tinting brush! Tipid!

Are you thinking of dyeing your hair too? Read on, Beautiful... ^_^ 

Selecting a Color
The thing about hair dye is that the packaging can be misleading. Don't base on the model's hair color! The one I bought (Nutrisse #5.3) looked light brown on the box but it was chocolate brown on my hair. Plus, different brands have different color bases so choosing the color can be very tricky. Frustrating, I know.

What do the numbers mean? 
The scale is 1 (Black) to 10 (Blonde). I usually use colors around the middle like #5... I highly suggest getting your color done professionally first then ask for the box or the color number and brand for "future reference".

What's inside the box?
You'll find the instruction leaflet, a pair of gloves, a tube and a bottle of the hair dye (you'll have to mix this to form the dye paste) and a conditioner to put on your hair after you rinse off the dye.

This particular brand costs 20 SR at Euromarche
This is a small box and is just enough for my short hair (chin length). So you might have to consider how long your hair is to determine how many boxes you'll need.

What you'll need:
These are the basics that you'll need to apply the dye evenly. These are relatively cheap and can be found in supermarkets.
Mixing cup, spoon, tinting brush (10 SR) and shower cap
1. Mixing cup - you'll probably need something bigger so that it will be easier to mix the paste properly. Any plastic container will do as long as it's big enough.

2. Spoon - use a spoon to mix the the paste together. Do not use this spoon for eating, even after you rinse it.

3. Tinting brush - this will help you apply an even coat of dye on your hair. This is 10 SR at Centrepoint.

4. Shower cap - to keep the dye from dripping while you're waiting for it work.

The Dyeing Process
It's important to follow the instructions on the leaflet. If you have sensitive skin, you might have to do a patch test first. If after 24 hours you don't experience any rashes or reactions to the dye, then proceed as planned.

Wear the gloves provided, mix the contents of the tube and bottle and apply the dye paste using the tinting brush. Do not let the mixture sit for too long, apply it immediately. Focus on the visible roots first and then apply it to the rest of the hair. (It's ideal to ask someone else to do this so they can apply it evenly.) Avoid the skin around your face and ears as it might stain. Just like facials, don't color your hair the day before a special event. Do it at least 3 days before.

Once you've dyed all of your hair, cover it with the shower cap and wait 30-40 minutes (depends if you have a lot of gray hair or if this is your first time to dye your hair). Then rinse off the dye. Make sure that you get it all out. Then apply the conditioner included in the package. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse it off too. Dry your hair and voila! 

My Advice
Don't go overboard and dye your hair blonde if your hair is black! Your roots will be obvious within a week! Try going 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural shade. Because my hair color isn't that drastic, I usually recolor my roots after 3-4 months.

To maintain colored hair, use shampoos specifically for color treated hair and deep condition your hair at least once a week. This will protect your hair and keep it healthy.

Disclaimer:
I am NOT a professional stylist. This post is based on my personal experience and the tips might not apply to everyone. Choosing your color is very personal and can be very tricky. You have to consider if the color you will choose is compatible to your natural skin tone. 

If you wish to do this on your own, please consult a professional stylist first. As I've said earlier, I highly suggest getting your color done professionally first then ask for the box or the color number and brand for future reference


Best of Luck!
Sampaguita Pride



2 had something to say:

Anonymous said...

i also dye my hair.. my husband help me..

just recently, i dyed my hair volcano red..

well it does not turned out like Rihanna's hair..

it just blended with my not-so-black hair (coz i color it before)

:)

The Pink Tarha said...

^Wow, that's great! Wish we have husbands who will understand our beauty needs. Haha! Your hair wouldn't really turn red like Rihanna's especially if your natural color is brown/black. It will take more than a commercial dye to do that. Bet you're still more beautiful than Rihanna though! :)

Thanks for reading The Pink Tarha! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...